Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Commands in all caps
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Commands in all caps Post 302545531 by Corona688 on Monday 8th of August 2011 05:29:16 PM
Old 08-08-2011
filenames in UNIX are case-sensitive, so doing this would rule out a lot of valid filenames.

If you only need to do this for specific commands, creating those filenames would be a straightforward way to do it:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# filename:  /bin/CHMOD
exec sudo chmod "$@"

Or a set of functions:

Code:
function CHMOD
{
        sudo chmod "$@"
}

I don't know a way to make the shell recognize any possible all-uppercase command name just because it's uppercase. Some sort of preprocessor would probably be needed.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing first letter to CAPS

Hi, I want to convert the first letter of this word from lowecase to uppercase. Assume a letter united. I want to translate to United Please let me know a simple way to do that. Thanks. (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
22 Replies

2. Red Hat

Caps lock dtterm

Hello, We are having a problem with running dtterm off a RHEL server. Logging into an HP-UX server from a RHEL 5.1 desktop, setting DISPLAY and running dtterm, the caps lock does not work. We have been playing with xmodmap & stty but to no avail. Any help appreciated. mgb (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgb
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Caps lock dtterm

Hello, We are having a problem with running dtterm off a RHEL server. Logging into an HP-UX server from a RHEL 5.1 desktop, setting DISPLAY and running dtterm, the caps lock does not work. We have been playing with xmodmap & stty but to no avail. Any help appreciated. mgb (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgb
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Set Caps and Num lock from within X?

Hello, Not sure if this is the right place to post it but.. I have a requirement to set Caps lock and/or Num lock on and off via a Cron job. Now I have working scripts that do the job, but as soon as X starts up the jobs no longer run (well they appear to, but Caps lock and Num lock do not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: autotuner
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files with caps?

Anyone know the proper command to copy files whose names CONTAIN a capital letter to a diff location? Every time I do it I ke copying ALL the files. Here is what ive tried cp ** newlocation cp newlocation (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: losingit
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to ignore CAPS or case sensitivity?

If I'm using a program that is expecting certain filenames and directories to be all CAPS, isn't there a way to ignore this in linux/cshell scripting? I.e., similiar to ignoring spaces with " (i.e., directory is directory 1, can ignore by typing "directory 1".) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebazon
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Caps lock problem

hi all this s quite a foolish problem. I seem to hav pressed some keys s.t in unix, my letters are comin in caps and with caps lock on, i am getting lowercase letters. :o Pls help. Also is there any reference or manual where i can check in case such problems arrise? thanx in advance curiosity (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: curiosity
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate all possible word with caps and no caps

With use of sed/awk, how can I print all possible combinations of a word with caps/non-caps. Eg Applying operation on "cap" should generate output as follows. cap CAP Cap cAp caP CAp cAP CaP (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
12 Replies
GKSU(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GKSU(1)

NAME
gksu - a Gtk+ su frontend SYNOPSIS
gksu [ options ] <command> gksudo [ options ] <command> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly gksu and gksudo gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. Common Options: --user <user>, -u <user> Calls <command> as the specified user --message <message>, -m <message> Replaces the standard message shown to ask for password for the argument passed to the option --sudo-mode, -S Use sudo instead of su as backend authentication system. Notice that the X authorization magic will not work when using sudo for target users other than root. --title <title>, -t <title> Replaces the default title with the argument --icon <icon>, -i <icon> Replaces the default window icon with the argument --print-pass, -p Asks gksu to print the password to stdout, just like ssh-askpass. Useful to use in scripts with programs that accept receiving the password on stdin. --disable-grab, -g Disables the "locking" of the keyboard, mouse, and focus done by the program when asking for password --ssh-fwd, -s Strip the host part of the $DISPLAY variable, so that GKSu will work on SSH X11 Forwarding. --login, -l Makes this a login shell. Beware this may cause problems with the Xauthority magic. Run xhost to allow the target user to open win- dows on your display! This is ignored if running with sudo as backend for authentication. --preserve-env, -k Preserve the current environments, does not set $HOME nor $PATH, for example. FILES
/etc/gksu.conf Configuration file to setup system-wide defaults for gksu/gksudo. It provides an option to force the display grabing, also. RETURN VALUE
On success, gksu will return 0. If an authentication error ocurred, it will exit with error code 3. If the user canceled the dialog or closed the window, it will return error code 2. On other error conditions, gksu will return 1. NOTE
Note that <command> and all its arguments should be passed as one single argument to gksu just like one would to when using su. SEE ALSO
su(1), gksuexec(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 2003 GKSU(1)