Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem on rsh to run script
Operating Systems Solaris Problem on rsh to run script Post 302545273 by beginningDBA on Sunday 7th of August 2011 11:48:15 PM
Old 08-08-2011
Problem on rsh to run script

Hi, i want to run a touch_file_script.sh on host2 by rsh -ing from host1 to host 2

Code:
<host1># rsh <host2> <path>/touch_file_script.sh

No error was prompt. However it did not create the file as in the script.

Code:
# rsh <host2>
# sh -x <path>/touch_file_script.sh
+ touch <file>

Run it separately, again, no file was created. Suspect it was permission problem, chmod 777 on touch_file_script.sh does not help also.

Can anyone please help? Smilie Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with rsh

Hi all I have checked the archives and cannot find a solution. I get a permission denied error, however all the suggestions donot help. here is the scenario root@OPSBOX#/>rsh OPSBOX ls -l rshd: 0826-813 Permission is denied. root@OPSBOX#/>pg .rhosts OPSBOX root OPSBOX ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

Hi, I am using rsh command in scripting. But I wan to run the script as a bg process. When I run the script, it says stopped. My doubt is ....if I use the rsh in scripting ......bg is possible or not ??? EX: test-rsh rsh 172.16.73.38 df -k >DF.log Result when I run this script ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vastare
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

hey, I'v a problem when I use rsh. When it logs in, it goes my home directory. I want it to go directly to my working directory. An idea I had was to redirect pwd to a file (pwd > somefile) and then once I'v rsh'd, cd to that path. I don't know how to read from the file to use as a parameter for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bacchus
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem when the script is scheduled to run as cron job

Hello, I have problem in executing a shell script. When the shell script is executed at the shell prompt the script works successfully but when the same script is run as a cron job it fails to execute the files called within the shell script. I have scheduled the job in my crontab file as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem to run sql startment in script

Hello, I have a script to run a list of customer information, but it not work. can anyone help below: echo "Please input list to check customer detail:" read list for file in 'cat $list.txt' do echo "select cuname as "FROM CUNAME", invo_num as "RECS", total_amount as "AMOUNT", tax_amount as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem

Dear, I am trying to execute a script in the X machine by remote logging from machine Y. Note that in the X machine in host file the ip and the hostname of the Y is defined and in the .rhosts the hostname and the username of the Y is defined. By using the following: rsh X -l username -n "sh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tontal
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using RSH

Hi, I have an old solaris 2.6 box and I need to copy all the data from the hard drive onto another machine. It does not have ssh installed so I am forced to use rsh. My plan was to execute the rcp command from the solaris box to a Centos 5 machine. I have installed rsh client and server on my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run the script in background, but having a problem

hi, we have a script which runs for the whole day and whenever the job fails, will send an alert to the mailbox. My problem here is that i need to give the jobname dynamically which is not possible if we run the script in background. Pls help me with this. Thanks Ajay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

9. Solaris

su and run script problem

Hi, it's there a way to for me to su to run script? It seems like if i put su - <user1> cd <path> touch <file1> It will stop at su without running the cd & touch command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem run script inside a gnome-terminal

hi, I would like to ask about using gnome-terminal command, I had a script that will run my VBOX VM in headless and i want to display the output(STDOUT) on the gnome-terminal window. The purpose that i want to display the STDOUT of the script cause i will used it or create a desktop shortcut for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
11 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-46dn] [-l username] [-p port] host [command] rsh [-46dn] [-p port] username@host [command] DESCRIPTION
rsh executes command on host. rsh copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally termi- nates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -4 Use IPv4 addresses only. -6 Use IPv6 addresses only. -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l username By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. The -l option or the username@host format allow the remote name to be specified. -n The -n option redirects input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). -p port Uses the given port instead of the one assigned to the service ``shell''. May be given either as symbolic name or as number. If no command is given, note that rlogin(1) is started, which may need a different daemon (rlogind(8) instead of rshd(8)) run- ning on the server; you want to pass the rshd(8) port number in that case. If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rcmd(1), rlogin(1), rcmd(3), hosts.equiv(5), rhosts(5), environ(7) HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like rogue(6) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. BSD
March 9, 2005 BSD