Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in comparing 2 files string by string Post 302545223 by agama on Sunday 7th of August 2011 01:49:19 PM
Old 08-07-2011
If I am reading your post correctly, what you have is a file like this:

Code:
a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h
g,b,c,d,f,a,i,j
c,e,d,f,h,a,b,a
h,b,j,a,b,c,d,f
a,b,c,e,a,b,c

And for any two colums (2 and 3 lets say) you want to know for each value in column two, the number of times a value in column three appeared with that value. For instance, the value 'b' appears in column 2 with the value 'c' three times and the value j once. So for the above matrix, the desired output would be:

Code:
     COLA/COLB    c   d   j
      b           3   0   1
      e           0   1   0

which shows that column 2 (your A column) had two values (b and e) and column 3 (your B column) had three values (c, d, and j) with the listed combinations of counts.

If this makes sense, and is what you desire, then I think all you need is a simple awk to process your csv file directly:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh

awk -F "," -v c1=${1:-1} -v c2=${2:-2} '
    {
        if( !seen_1[$(c1)]++ )
            order_1[o1idx++] = $(c1);

if( !seen_2[$(c2)]++ )
            order_2[o2idx++] = $(c2);

count[$(c1),$(c2)]++;
    }

END {
        printf( "%15s ", "COLA/COLB" );
        for( j=0; j < o2idx; j++ )              # header
            printf( "%15s ", order_2[j] );
        printf( "\n" );

for( i = 0; i < o1idx; i++ )            # print matrix
        {
            printf( "%15s ", order_1[i] );
            for( j=0; j < o2idx; j++ )
                printf( "%15d ", count[order_1[i],order_2[j]] );

printf( "\n" );
        }
    }
'

exit

The script takes colA and colB from the command line and reads the csv file from stdin. If you put this into foo.ksh, the command line to look at columns 5 and 10 would be:

Code:
foo.ksh 5 10 <file.csv

If no colums are given on the command line, the defaults are columns 1 and 2.

If this isn't what you had in mind, please clarify and add some sample input and desired output based on the sample.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in comparing numeric with string

Hi all, I am having a problem in comparing numeric value with string. I have a variable in my script which gets the value dynamically. It can be a numeric value or a string. I have to do separate task based on its value numeric or sting variable VARIABLE. I grep FILE_COUNT and obtained... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_0101bits
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem comparing String using IF stmt

Hi frnds Im facing an issues while trying to compare string using IF stmt, my code is: chkMsgName=`Service Fee Detail` if then if then if then echo "Valid File Ready for processing" fi fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balesh
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a long string string problem for procmail

Hi everyone, I am working on fetchmail + procmail to filter mails and I am having problem with parsing a long line in the body of the email. Could anyone help me construct a reg exp for this string below. It needs to match exactly as this string. GetRyt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a string by comparing another string?

Hi , I have one file like BUD,BDL BUDCAR BUD,BDL BUDLAMP ABC,CDF,KLT ABISKAR ABC,CDF,KLT CORNEL ABC,CDF,KLT KANNAD JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY JAGAN JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY HOUSE JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY KATAK JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY KOLKA The o/p should be like BUD,BDL BUDCAR,BUDLAMP ABC,CDF,KLT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string

Hi, I have a list of zipped files. I want to grep for a string in all files and get a list of file names that contain the string. But without unzipping them before that, more like using something like gzcat. My OS is: SunOS test 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help comparing string, please

Good morning, I need compare this string. if || || ; then But this line not work, somebody can say me what is the error. Thank you for advanced. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
5 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. DIAGNOSTICS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS The environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the size of the screen if no other information is available. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD