Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to set top arrow to get the history of last used commands Post 302545125 by etldev on Saturday 6th of August 2011 01:57:22 PM
Old 08-06-2011
well this is what I have .I did a tty and

/dev/pts/1

but in general how do we set that option

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh: how to make [up arrow] recall command history

I want to get my up arrow key to recall my previous commands in Korn shell. Anyone help please? thanks a bunch! BG (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I get my arrow keys to work for looking thru my PREVIOUS UNIX COMMANDS

how do I make my arrow keys behave like they are on DOS. ALSO i need editing on command promt like it is on DOS on my UNIX prompt can anyone help pl.. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: spotnis
11 Replies

3. Solaris

History commands

Dear What's the command to be executed to retreive all history commands for a specific user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abu_hassan
1 Replies

4. Linux

history of commands

I would like to log all the commands I type (on the terminal) to a file. The command "history" does this only for current terminal only. I typically keep around 10 terminals open. Thanks, j Note: I do not have root access. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superuser84
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to set history key in Solaris

Hi Solaris guys, I just have my solaris 10 setup on x86 old box... How can i get history key? eg. Linux using up/down arrow key to call history command... HPUX using Esc-k How can i do the samething in Solaris? Thanks in advanced! Regards, gary (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timontt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding history of my commands

i have several boxes running either ubuntu, redhat or solaris. there are multiple people with root access on these boxes. i really dont like people looking through my command history, is there a way i can prevent this? what files do i have to edit to prevent anyone from being able to see what... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

history commands

Hi Guys, I am running RHEL5, I am trying to find out the history of the cammands that were executed on my server. I have files that are missing I just want to find out what happened to them. I used history | more but I can't find anything related to my query. I also checked... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

commands History

how to list all commands history for a username during a certain time ? Maany Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UP arrow button to recall previous commands in Putty

Hi, I remember in my previous project, I used UP arrow button to recall previous unix commands (using putty on Sun OS), which I am not able to do in my new project... I do not know if this is some project specific settings or not... when I press UP arrow button, all I get is ^. I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
3 Replies
PTY(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    PTY(4)

NAME
pty -- BSD-style compatibility pseudo-terminal driver SYNOPSIS
device pty DESCRIPTION
The pty driver provides support for the traditional BSD naming scheme that was used for accessing pseudo-terminals. When the device /dev/ptyXX is being opened, a new terminal shall be created with the pts(4) driver. A device node for this terminal shall be created, which has the name /dev/ttyXX. New code should not try to allocate pseudo-terminals using this interface. It is only provided for compatibility with older C libraries that tried to open such devices when posix_openpt(2) was being called. FILES
The BSD-style compatibility pseudo-terminal driver uses the following device names: /dev/pty[l-sL-S][0-9a-v] Pseudo-terminal master devices. /dev/tty[l-sL-S][0-9a-v] Pseudo-terminal slave devices. DIAGNOSTICS
None. SEE ALSO
posix_openpt(2), pts(4), tty(4) HISTORY
A pseudo-terminal driver appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Unlike previous implementations, the master slave device nodes are destroyed when the PTY becomes unused. A call to stat(2) on a nonexistent master device will already cause a new master device node to be created. The master device can only be destroyed by opening and closing it. The pty driver cannot be unloaded, because it cannot determine if it is being used. BSD
August 20, 2008 BSD