Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unique files in a given directory Post 302544851 by DGPickett on Friday 5th of August 2011 08:30:04 AM
Old 08-05-2011
Neat! Most files are different really quickly, which might save time in a specialized code. Not reviewing old files is a competing tactic, so it depends on the numbers (and if files change under the same name).

Speedup idea above might also include files newer than last checksum file, to pick up revisions, if not linked in.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Inode Number Not Unique

Hi, I know that inode for each file is unique, but is it the for the directory? So far I found different directories has the same inode nubmer when you do ls -i, could some one explain why? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To get unique numbers from two files

here i have two files: file 1 1 2 3 4 5 5 6 7 8 9 file 2 4 5 6 6 8 8 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unique Directory and Folder Deletion Script

Ok, so I just got charged with the task of deleting some 300 user folders in a FTP server to free up some space. I managed to grep and cut the list of user folders to delete into a list of one user folder per line. Example: bob00 jane01 sue03 In the home folder, there are folders a-z, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b4sher
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all images, append unique prefix to name and move to different directory

Hi, I have a directory with Multiple subdirectories and 1000s of pictures (jpg) in each directory. The problem is that each directory has a 001.jpg in them. I want to append a unique name (the directory_name)would be fine. and then move them to one main backup directory once they have been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmaq7621
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting unique lines from 2 files

hi i have used comm -13 <(sort 1.txt) <(sort 2.txt) option to get the unique lines that are present in file 2 but not in file 1. but some how i am getting the entire file 2. i would expect few but not all uncommon lines fro my dat. is there anything wrong with the way i used the command? my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through entire directory and count unique values

Hello, I`m a complete newbie to coding, please help with this problem. I have multiple files in a directory, I have to loop through the contents of each file and extract number of unique isoforms in that file. Each file is tab delimited and only the line with the first parent (column 3)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract unique files

In a incoming folder i have list of files like below,i want to pick the unique files to process the job. if same file contain more than one then it should pick latest date modified file to process. drwxrwsrwx 2 n308799 infagrp 256 May 20 17:42 Final_Working drwxrwsrwx 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add unique identifier from file to filetype in directory

I am trying to add a unique identifier to two file extensions .bam and .vcf in a directory located at /home/cmccabe/Desktop/index/R_2016_09_21_14_01_15_user_S5-00580-9-Medexome. The identifier is in $2 of the input file. What the code below is attempting to do is strip off the last portion... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
rlog(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   rlog(1)

NAME
rlog - print log messages and other information on RCS files SYNOPSIS
[options] file ... DESCRIPTION
prints information about RCS files. Files ending in are RCS files; all others are working files. If a working file is given, tries to find the corresponding RCS file first in directory then in the current directory, as explained in rcsintro(5). prints the following information for each RCS file: RCS file name, working file name, head (i.e., the number of the latest revision on the trunk), access list, locks, symbolic names, suffix, total number of revisions, number of revisions selected for printing, and descriptive text. This is followed by entries for the selected revisions in reverse chronological order for each branch. For each revision, prints revision number, author, date/time, state, number of lines added/deleted (with respect to the previous revision), locker of the revision (if any), and log message. Without options, prints complete information. The options below restrict this output. Options recognizes the following options: Print information about revisions whose check-in date and time fall within the ranges given by the semicolon-separated list of dates. A range of the form or selects the revisions that were deposited between d1 and d2 (inclusive). A range of the form or selects all revisions dated d or earlier. A range of the form or selects all revisions dated d or later. A range of the form d selects the single, latest revision dated d or earlier. The date/time strings d, d1, and d2 are in the format explained in co(1). Quoting is normally necessary, especially for and Note that the separator is a semicolon. Print only RCS file name, working file name, head, access list, locks, symbolic names, and suffix. Print information about locked revisions. If the comma-separated list lockers of login names is given, only the revisions locked by the given login names are printed. If the list is omitted, all locked revisions are printed. Ignore RCS files that have no locks set; convenient in combination with or Print information about revisions given in the comma-separated list revisions of revisions and ranges. A range rev1-rev2 means revisions rev1 to rev2 on the same branch, means revi- sions from the beginning of the branch up to and including rev, and means revisions starting with rev to the head of the branch containing rev. An argument that is a branch means all revisions on that branch. A range of branches means all revisions on the branches in that range. Print only the name of the RCS file; convenient for translating a working file name into an RCS file name. Print information about revisions whose state attributes match one of the states given in the comma-separated list states. Print the same as plus the descriptive text. Prints information about revisions checked in by users whose login names appearing in the comma-separated list logins. If logins is omitted, the user's login is assumed. prints the intersection of the revisions selected with the options and EXAMPLES
Print the names of all RCS files in the subdirectory named that have locks: Print the headers of those files: Print the headers plus the log messages of the locked revisions: Print complete log information: Print the header and log messages of all revisions checked in after 1:00am on December 25th, 1991: Print the header and log messages of those revisions that were created between 10:00am and 2:00pm on July 4th, 1992: DIAGNOSTICS
The exit status always refers to the last RCS file operated upon, and is 0 if the operation was successful, 1 if unsuccessful. AUTHOR
was developed by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
ci(1), co(1), ident(1), rcs(1), rcsdiff(1), rcsmerge(1), rcsfile(4), rcsintro(5). rlog(1)