Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sed to remove only first line erroneously removes last line too Post 302544608 by yazu on Thursday 4th of August 2011 09:58:43 AM
Old 08-04-2011
I believe you do not have the last newline char in your file. Check whether this works:
Code:
 { cat INPUTFILE; echo; } | sed '1d'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED help (remove line::parse again::add line)

Aloha! I have just over 1k of users that have permissions that they shouldn't under our system. I need to parse a provided list of usernames, check their permissions file, and strip the permissions that they are not allowed to have. If upon the permissions strip they are left with no permissions,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malumake
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line

hello experts, I need a sed command that remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line. any suggestions? Thanks you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank line - SED

HI, I have this list of apps like so: DivX Products.app DivX Support.app Uninstall DivX for Mac.app Build Applet.app SpringBoard.app Interface.app MobileAddressBook.app MobileSafari.app MobileSlideShow.app Preferences.app Install Flash Player 8 OSX.app Yap.app check_afp.app ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: remove first character from particular line

Hello Experts, I have a file "tt.txt" which is like: #a1=a2 b1=b2 #c1=c2 I need to remove the pound (#) sign from a particular line. In this case let us assume it's 3rd line : "#c1=c2" I can do it through: sed "s/#c1=c2/c1=c2/" tt.txtbut it is possible that I may not know the value... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -e remove line from file

Hi Trying to remove line from file log_January_1_array and code below doesn't work. $(sed -e '/"$n"/d' <log_January_1_array >log_January_1_array_1) sed doesn't know what is in $n variable and nth happens. Please advice how to make sed running this. thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to remove a line above and lines below.

:confused:Hi All, I need help on removing lines in a text file. Sample file : When there is a match ip for IPAddress in my `cat ip.out`, proceed delete line above until string "Comp" is found. Thank you very much. ---------- Post updated at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous update was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiewming
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove particular line from a file using sed

Hi i need to remove all the lines staring with 'printf("\n' from a file, example : the file tmp.txt contains printf("\n "); printf("\n good"); printf("\n "); printf("\n "); printf(""); printf( m_sprintf(for printf("\n "); i have tried with following commands but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprakasheee
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newline to space code removes 0 from the first line

I am having a peculiar problem. First I run the code below to append 0 at the start of each line in some hundreds of files that I have in a directory. These files have each word in a newline. for f in *.dat; do echo "0" > tmpfile cat $f >> tmpfile mv tmpfile $f done Then I run this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
7 Replies
ACHECK.1(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       ACHECK.1(1)

NAME
acheck - Check common localization mistakes SYNOPSIS
acheck [OPTIONS] [INPUT_FILE] DESCRIPTION
This program parses a file checking for syntax rules and optionally asking Aspell for checking word spelling. It makes fix suggestions and outputs a corrected file accordingly adding review comments if requested. It tries to find the file type according to the extension or the first lines and loads rules accordingly. It displays lines when they are parse. When an error is found, a menu is displayed. Just press Enter if you don't want to change anything. If a choice suits you, enter the corre- sponding number. If you want to fix it but no choice is correct, enter a space, then you will be asked for a string to replace the high- lighted text. The script will replace the highlighted text with your choice and parse it again for new errors. Here are all the available commands: Enter, ignore. Ignore. Ctrl+L, redraw. Rewrite the last line, suggestions and hints. Space, edit. Edit the highlighted text. E, edit line. Edit the whole line. H, add hint. Add the displayed hint as review comment. Use this if you want the translator to see the corresponding warning or error but you have no correction. N, next line. Skip the rest of this line. X, exit and discard all changes. Quit without saving modifications, the script ask you for confirmation, you have to enter `yes' to exit otherwise parsing starts again at the current mistake. a, add in dictionary. Add the highlighted word to you personal dictionary, capitalized as it is. l, add lowercase in dictionary. Lowercase the highlighted word to add it to your personal dictionary. i, ignore word. Ignore the highlighted word, same as Enter. I, ignore all. Ignore the highlighted word and add it to your session dictionary. OPTIONS
Verbosity level: -q, --quiet quiet mode. -v verbose, start at level $Debug + 1, add more for more verbosity (see below). --verbose n set verbosity level to n (see below). Files: -i, --input input filename, can be '-' to read data from standard input. -o, --output output filename, can be '-' to write data to standard ouput. If no output filename is provided, input file is backed up with `bak_ext' extension and input filename is used. Spell check: -s, --spell check spelling with Aspell. -d language, --dict language use language dictionary for Aspell. -n, --nospell don't check spelling. Mode: -r, --review review mode, add comments on lines beginning with $Comment after parsed line. -t, --trans translator mode, don't add comments, just fix errors. others: --rules ruleset use ruleset rules set. --type filetype use filetype whatever the file type is. --dump Dump the rules to check and exit, use this for debugging purposes. -V, --version print version and exit. -h, --help print a short usage message and exit. Verbosity Level 0 quiet, normal only warnings and errors 1 debug names of subroutines 2 debug verbose names and arguments of subroutines 3 .. 5 debug very verbose output parsing and checking details SEE ALSO
acheck(5), acheck-rules(5) AUTHOR
Nicolas Bertolissio <bertol@debian.org> perl v5.8.4 2003-10-05 ACHECK.1(1)