Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk print only select records from file2 Post 302543910 by yazu on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 11:23:24 AM
Old 08-02-2011
Maybe this example can help:
Code:
% cat file1
a
b
% cat file2
a
b
% awk '
  NR==FNR {a[$1]++}
  NR!=FNR && a[$1]' file1 file2
a
b

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable to select records with awk

As part of a bigger task, I had to read thru a file and separate records into various batches based on a field. Specifically, separate records based on the value in the batch field as defined below. The batch field left-justified numbers. The datafile is here > cat infile 12345 1 John Smith ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK ??-print for fields within records in a file

Hello all, Would appreciate if someone can help me out on the following requirement. INPUT FILE: -------------------------- TPS REPORT abc def ghi jkl mon pqr stu vrs lll END OF TPS REPORT TPS REPORT field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field6 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyennah
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

print contents of file2 for matching pattern in file1 - AWK

File1 row is same as column 2 in file 2. Also file 2 will either start with A, B or C. And 3rd column in file 2 is always F2. When column 2 of file 2 matches file1 column, print all those rows into a separate file. Here is an example. file 1: 100 103 104 108 file 2: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK, print no of records after pattern match.

Hi ALL :). i have a file, cat 3 + dog 5 + rat 6 - i want to print no of record having pattern "+". thanks in advance :confused:. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print unique records in 2 columns using awk

Is it possible to print the records that has only 1 value in 2nd column. Ex: input awex1 1 awex1 2 awex1 3 assww 1 ader34 1 ader34 2 output assww 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk read in file1, gsub in file2, print to file3

I'm trying to use awk to do the following. I have file1 with many lines, each containing 5 fields describing an individual set. I have file2 which is a template config file with variable space holders to be replaced by the values in file1. I would like to substitute each set of values in file1 with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msmehaffey
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To select non-duplicate records using awk

Friends, I have data sorted on id like this id addressl 1 abc 2 abc 2 abc 2 abc 3 aabc 4 abc 4 abc I want to pick all ids with addressesses leaving out duplicate records. Desired output would be id address 1 abc 2 abc 3 abc 4 abc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paresh n doshi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print matching records and occurences of each record

Hi all , I have two files : dblp.xml with dblp records and itu1.txt with faculty members records. I need to find out how many dblp records are related to the faculty members. More specific: I need to find out which names from itu1.txt are a match in dblp. xml file , print them and show how many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iori
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk- Indexing a list of numbers in file2 to print certain rows in file1

Hi Does anyone know of an efficient way to index a column of data in file2 to print the coresponding row in file1 which corresponds to the data in file2 AND 30 rows preceding and after the row in file1. For example suppose you have a list of numbers in file2 (single column) as follows:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
6 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
March 21, 2004 BSD