Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: validate tar file on tape
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting validate tar file on tape Post 302543682 by dernsdorff on Monday 1st of August 2011 05:19:57 PM
Old 08-01-2011
validate tar file on tape

I've got a KSH/AIX question that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

I've got a tape archive program that "tar's" data to a tape. After creating the archive, I'd like to somehow verify that the tape is actually good. So, what I'd like to do as a simple "sanity" check that I can read the tape is to view the first entry of the tar file listing, basically
Code:
tar -vtf/dev/rmt0 | head -1

If I can successfully read the first entry, I'll assume (hope) the whole archive is okay. If I get an error, then maybe the tape was bad or some other problem.

If I simply "tar -vtf/dev/rmt0", I'll immediatley see the first entry, as "stdout" is line buffered. However, when I pipe it to "head", stdout is fully buffered, so I don't see any output until the "tar" finishes processing the whole file.

I'd like to tar the file until I get the first entry (or an error) and then terminate the tar command.

I've tried numerous combinations of redirection, piping, background processes, coprocesses, etc, but I can't come up anything that works for me. I can redirect stdout to stderr (which isn't buffered) so that I can see the output immediately, but then I can't read the output to be able to terminate the tar command after the first entry is read.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Don

Last edited by Franklin52; 08-02-2011 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar to tape and back

Howdy, I'm trying to tar some directories to tape and then extract them from tape on another machine. I was hoping someone could help me with the syntax of the tar commands. Both machines are running Solaris 8. Need to get all files and directories under the following: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmetal
6 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

tar tvf from tape backeped using

Hi, The scenario is as follow: Backup was done using: tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file1.ext tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file2.ext tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file3.ext tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file4.ext tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file5.ext When I do; tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m, it only gives me the first file on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kong
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to remote tape

I tried to buckup some oracle archive logs (from a solaris machine) to a remote tape (in a HP-UX machine). I added the solaris machine name and user to .rhosts, and i tried to use this commande : tar cvf HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn /u01/* The probleme that it gives: HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn : No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lasgaa
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dump and tar backup in one tape

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. I need to ask a few question. I would like to know if it is possible to use dump and tar command for backup in one tape. If it is possible, how do I restore it back? Fyi, I'm using the Digital Unix 4.0E OSF/1 box. (old box) :-) Thank you. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apokobondo
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing tar file to tape

Hi Guy`s I`m a newbie to Unix and I`m starting to love it I got stuck donig backups of tar files to tape I use this to find all tar files find . -name '*.tar.*' > output in output there would be n of file eg. 6 the size output is 156 but tar files are: 9.3M Jul 18 09:48... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

9. Solaris

tape tar error

Hi, I am trying to determine if a tape is full because on 2 different tapes, im receiving 2 different kind of errors: # uname SunOS # /bin/tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /export/home a /export/home/jerry/wlserver_10.0.tar.gz 28528 tape blocks tar: write error: unexpected EOF # mt -f /dev/rmt/0n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosies
5 Replies

10. Solaris

UNIX : how can I recover a corrupt tar file from a tape?

I've a tape contains a corrupt tar file. I'm using Unix SunOS 5.5.1. So when I run this command : dd if=/dev/rmt/0 of=/tmp/outputfile.tar I get this error message : warning /pci@1f, 0/pci@1/pci@1/sunw, isptwo@4/st@4,0 (sty): Error for command : read Error Level: Fatal Requested... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akaderb
2 Replies
dds-dd(1)						      General Commands Manual							 dds-dd(1)

NAME
dds-dd - tool to read a dds device. SYNOPSIS
dds-dd [ -f device ] DESCRIPTION
dds-dd reads a dds tape devices (DAT). Every block is read and written to stdout. A tape with unknown block size or blocks of different size can be read. The default device is /dev/rmt0, which may be overridden with the environment variable TAPE, which in turn may be overridden with the -f device option. The device must be a character special file. OPTIONS
-f device Device of the tape archive (default is /dev/rmt0). Must be a character special file connected to a dds tape device. -V,--version Print the version number of mt-dds to stderr and exit immediately. --help print some screens of online help with examples through a pager and exit immediately. EXAMPLES
Example: Read the tape and make a listing: dds-dd | tar ft - Example: Read the tape and make a listing: dds-dd | cpio -it ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable TAPE overrides the default tape device /dev/rmt0. SEE ALSO dds2tar(1), dds2index(1), mt(1), tar(1) HISTORY
This program was created to use it in conjunction with dds2tar. AUTHOR
J"org Weule (weule@cs.uni-duesseldorf.de), Phone +49 211 751409. This software is available at ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de:/pub/unix/apollo 2.4 dds-dd(1)