Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to assign echo in variable Post 302543460 by agama on Sunday 31st of July 2011 11:33:30 PM
Old 08-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazu
If you can use $(...) you can use and other POSIX feature:
Code:
VAR=test.txt
echo ${VAR%.txt}

Good point, but probably better off using ${VAR%%.*}since the OP was wanting to cut field 1. The example was test.txt, but the input string might be foo.bar.txt.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assign to variable

why i can't use this command: echo $arg | cut -c 1,2 | read remainArg or echo $arg | cut -c 1,2 | read $remainArg so that the result will be assign to remainArg. Anyway to do this? :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a value to variable

I have to assign a result of a query to a vairable like this how can i do this Query = select count(*) from table x=`db2 ${Query}| sed -n '4p'` but this doesn't work, is there any other way to assign the result without redirecting the result to temp file. . Thanks Mark. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markjason
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a value to a variable

I have a list of names in a file. i want to assign those names to a variable in such a manner eg: $cat file.txt pete lisa john var=pete-lisa-john how do i do this in shell scripting? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to assign a value to variable

Hi Experts, I am facing some problem while developing the script.My input config.csv file contains the three columns namely pathname,filename,filetype.Based on the file type i have to use ftp command that is if filetype=csv then do ftp. The input file is cat config.csv... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell assign variable to another variable

How can I assign a variable to an variable. IE $car=honda One way I can do it is export $car=honda or let $car=2323 Is there any other ways to preform this task (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each line from input file, assign variables, and echo to output file?

I've got a file that looks like this (spaces before first entries intentional): 12345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 22345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 32345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN I want to read through the file line by line,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assign value to variable

Hi Guys, I need to assign the value of which has rows to a variable, Can you advise how to do that hive --orcfiledump /hdfs_path/ | grep "Rows" Rows: 131554 I need to assign this row count itself to a unix variable count=$(hive --orcfiledump /hdfs_path/ | grep "Rows") Expected ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
6 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)