Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with delete cmd
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with delete cmd Post 302543423 by mirni on Sunday 31st of July 2011 05:53:42 PM
Old 07-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson
Though, of course, you'll want to put the log in a different directory so it doesn't get swept up in the delete.
It won't. The asterisk will get expanded by shell before the command is run, when there is not logfile yet.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man <cmd> >> cmd.txt

I've noticed most of my postings here are because of syntax errors. So I want to begin compiling a large txt file that contains all the "man <cmd>" of the commands I most have problems with. I ran a "man nawk >> nawk.txt" but it included a header/footer on each "page". Anyone know how I'd be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
6 Replies

2. Programming

open cmd

if((LogFile=open(TempStr,O_CREAT|O_WRONLY|O_APPEND,0666))==-1) return(1); could someone explain me what the open() does here (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv cmd

Hi All, How can I move only files to another destination using mv cmd in hp-ux. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhbd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

date cmd

Hi all, date +%d/%m/%Y This is the command that displays current date(18/09/2008). Now, is there a way that would give me yesterdays date..? or tomorrows date n things like that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed cmd

write the sed command for swapping the first and 2nd (fields)words in the following file input file cse1 rama 1223 cse2 raju 2453 cse3 sita 3523 i tried with this $sed 's/ \(*\)/ \(*\)/ \2,\1' myfile1 but not getting th required... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar_vitam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix cmd prompt how to get old cmd run?

Hi, I am using SunOS I want to serch my previous command from unix prompt (like on AIX we can search by ESC -k) how to get in SunOs urgent help require. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl open(CMD, "cmd |"); buffering problem..

Hello, There's a third-party application's command that shows the application's status like "tail -f verybusy.log". When use the command, the output comes every 1-sec. but when it goes in a script below the output comes every 8-sec...What is the problem and how can I fix it? open(CMD,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with the find cmd

Hello, I'm having a trouble with the find cmd. I would like to find all the java versions on my systems. I have solaris 9 & 10 RHEL and SUSIE. java -version doesn't give all the versions on the server. So I am trying to use the find command to find them all find / -name java I would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
7 Replies

9. Linux

Env cmd

Hello, As a workaround for certain issue, I want to use SSH with a clean environment. I tried this: env -i ssh, but it returns: env -i ssh grep: ssh: No such file or directory As I'm a beginner, it would be great if you can suggest me, what is going wrong here. Thank you, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joyb25
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with cmd while using ps

Hi i am new to shell scripting and any help is really appreciated. my requirement is in, ps -e -o pid,uname,cmd how can i split and take only the cmd part from it. I tried awk but the issue is when the cmd is returning a lengthy command which itself has some spaces it is truncating the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jojo90
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)