Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line. Post 302543311 by yazu on Saturday 30th of July 2011 10:46:07 PM
Old 07-30-2011
Code:
awk -vpat="$pat" '$0 ~ pat {print $1, $2}' INPUTFILE

You can change pat (for example $0 ~ "^" pat "[A-Za-z]*" and output as you like.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing field in specific line in a file

Hi, I know there are lots of threads on replacing text within files, usually using sed or awk. However, I find it hard to adapt examples that I found to my specific case. I am kind of new to UNIX and have hard times learning the syntax either for sed or awk so I would appreciate any help. Here's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vytenis
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting rows line by line from a specific column using Awk

Dear UNIX community, I would like to to count characters from a specific row and have them displayed line-by-line. I have a file called testAwk2.csv which contain the following data: rabbit penguin goat giraffe emu ostrich I would like to count in the middle row individually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update specific field in a line of text file

I have a text file like this: subject1:LecturerA:10 subject2:LecturerA:40 if I was given string in column 1 and 2 (which are subject 1 and LecturerA) , i need to update 3rd field of that line containing that given string , which is, number 10 need to be updated to 100 ,for example. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmtoan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read particular line in file from specific column?

Hi...friends.... I want to create inventory...information for that I need to read some specific row say 2nd row from 1st 3 column and and write data with particular file used, I have some more column also but I need only 3 column data of first entry after header I attached sample file..those... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read specific line from a file

Hi, I have a ldif file like below: version: 1 dn: cn=Test Group,ou=Applications,dc=xyz,dc=com objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames objectClass: top cn: Test Group uniqueMember: uid=abc,ou=People,o=xyz,o=Corporate,dc=xyz,dc=com dn: cn=Test Sub Group,cn=Test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print with awk specific field different from specific character?

Hello, i need help with awk. I have this file: cat number DirB port 67 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 71 er_enc_out 56 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 74 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 75 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add specific string to last field of each line in perl based on value

I am trying to add a condition to the below perl that will capture the GTtag and place a specific string in the last field of each line. The problem is that the GT value used is not right after the tag rather it is a few fields away. The values should always be 0/1 or 1/2 and are in bold in the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching fields in input but only print line with largest value in specific field

In the below I am trying to use awk to match all the $13 values in input, which is tab-delimited, that are in $1 of gene which is just a single column of text. However only the line with the greatest $9 value in input needs to be printed. So in the example below all the MECP2 and LTBP1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - Reads a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
read [-r] var... STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: read: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Note The -r option is included to enable read to subsume the purpose of the obsolete line utility. OPERANDS
The name of an existing or non-existing shell variable. DESCRIPTION
The read utility reads a single line from standard input. By default, unless the -r option is specified, backslash () acts as an escape character. If standard input is a terminal device and the invoking shell is interactive, read prompts for a continuation line in the following cases: The shell reads an input line ending with a backslash, unless the -r option is specified. A here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. The line is split into fields as in the shell (see the sh(1) reference page); the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are fewer var parameters specified than there are fields, the leftover fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are fewer fields than vars, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var parameters affects the current shell execution environment. If read is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environ- ment: (read foo) nohup read ... find . -exec read ... ; NOTES
The -r option is included to enable read to subsume the purpose of the obsolete line utility. RESTRICTIONS
The results are undefined if an end-of-file is detected following a backslash at the end of a line when -r is not specified. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
The following command prints a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line: while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of read: Determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. Pro- vides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization vari- ables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Provides the prompt string that an interactive shell will write to standard error when a line ending with a backslash is read and the -r option was not specified, or if a here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. SEE ALSO
Commands: line(1) Functions: fread(3) Standards: standards(5) read(1)