Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a file after nth line Post 302543018 by avinthm on Friday 29th of July 2011 07:53:55 AM
Old 07-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Code:
sed -ne '/timestamp/,$p' yourfile

you mean, p will have the rest of the file and i read it line by line?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying nth line of a file dynamically

Hi, I have a file split.txt with the following contents one two three four five Suppose if i want to display contents of line 3, I know this could be achieved using the command sed -n '3p' split.txt But I need the line number to be decided dynamically like a=3 sed -n '$ap'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deanamrita
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find third(nth) word in all line from a file

For example i'm having the below contents in a file: expr is great when you want to split a string into just two parts. The .* also makes expr good for skipping a variable number of words when you don't know how many words a string will have. But expr is lousy for getting, say, the fourth word... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangarukannan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the nth word of mth line in a file

Hi.. May be a simple question but I just began to write unix scripts a week ago, for sorting some huge amount of experiment data, so I got no common sense about unix scripting and really need your helps... The situation is, I want to read the nth word of mth line in a file, and then store it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freezelty
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file from the nth line on

I have a script which reads from a job file and executed the scripts in the job file in sequence. #! /bin/ksh set -x while read line do $line.ksh if # mail the team fi done <"$file" The job file will be like abcd efgh ijkl mnop qrst This is working fine. I need to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nw2unx123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print nth line in a file

Bash/Oracle Linux 6.4 A basic requirement. How can I get nth line of a file printed ? Can I use grep in this case ? Example: In the below file, 12th line is "Kernel parameter check passed for rmem_max" . I just want the 12 line to be printed. # cat sometext.txt Kernel version check... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)