Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX CPU use
Operating Systems AIX AIX CPU use Post 302542580 by bakunin on Thursday 28th of July 2011 04:00:06 AM
Old 07-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmaus
Principle is pretty much the same on current p5/p6/p7 boxes the only major difference is that p6 is doing in order processing like i.e. solaris while p5 / p7 are doing out of order processing.
For a discussion about the (quite big) design changes that came with POWER6 you might be interested in this paper.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Aix high cpu activity

Hello everyone I have this process running on my server. topas command User 98.6 |############################ I have this process Name PID CPU% PgSp Owner db2fm 565264 25.6 1.5 ldapdb2 db2fm 348328 23.6 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

2. AIX

no of core in cpu for aix

is there command which will display no of core per cpu in aix? Regads, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

3. AIX

Find CPU per process in AIX

Hi. I am looking for a command that will return me the amount of CPU used by a specific process in AIX environment. I know there is TOPAS - but it is interactive and I need to get this information from system that connects remotely via SSH. Using writing to files and than reading them is also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting CPU% from a ps command (AIX 5.3)

Hi, I need write a script that check how much CPU% a particular process is using so I execute something like : while : do ps aux | awk '{ if($3 < 10) {printf( "this process %s CPU: %f and process %d\n",$1,$3,$2)}}' sleep 300 done but issue here is that I compare... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arizah
0 Replies

5. AIX

Aix process CPU differences.

Hi, I'm trying to create a script to catch a process which is consuming high CPU which I have pretty much done but it's just finding the correct place to pull the current CPU for that process. When viewed in Topas it's consuming 99.*% cpu But if I try using ps avg or ps -eo pcpu ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elmesy
5 Replies

6. AIX

AIX CPU waits

Guys, I have a question - when nmon reports a sizeable %CPU wait, does that mean - 1) IO operations are slowing CPU down, OR 2) paging slowing the CPU down, OR 3) one cant tell?? I thought the nmon documentation clearly suggested that CPU waits reported in nmon were from disk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getback0
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX CPU performance script ?

I want to write a shell script which will print AIX CPU utilization memory utilization every 5 mins redirect to file. How do i do it? Please advise. Which commands I should use? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU utilisation in AIX

Hi, I want to write one script that sent mail when CPU utilisation is more then 70%. i used topas but problem is it will show output only when we press ctrl +c. Please let me know if there is some other command that will give cpu utilisation which i can use in shell script. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to fix the CPU bound issues on AIX?

Hi All, Can you please answer my question. i see lot of CPU utilization on AIX LPARs. i am able to find the cause of the probelm. But i do not know how to mitigate or fix the problem. for instance, i found the process which is consuming most of CPU. i informed the responsible team. how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
7 Replies

10. AIX

AIX CPU usage

hi, We have two LPARs, both have same capacity and believe same configuration. ulimit settings for oracle user is unlimited for both LPARs. Installed oracle databases with same configurations on both LPARs, both databases sync every second so volume is same. Both LPARs/databases have identical... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: baladelaware73
10 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - set or retrieve a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [argument...] taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its pid, or to launch a new command with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks may be specified in hexadecimal (with or without a leading "0x"), or as a CPU list with the --cpu-list option. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0, 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1, 0xFFFFFFFF is processors #0 through #31, 32 is processors #1, #4, and #5, --cpu-list 0-2,6 is processors #0, #1, #2, and #6. When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -c, --cpu-list Interpret mask as numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. Numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For example: 0,5,8-11. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user can change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to the same user. A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to another user. A user can retrieve the affinity mask of any process. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_getaffinity(2), sched_setaffinity(2) See sched(7) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2014 TASKSET(1)