Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nohup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers nohup Post 302542094 by blak on Tuesday 26th of July 2011 04:37:31 PM
Old 07-26-2011
Thanks for your reply Gary.

I am sorry, but m little new to unix, could you please explain more.

Suppose we have to run startApp.sh file which accept user_name and password. How will we proceed?

Thanks n Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup

Hi, Using nohup it sends output automatically to $HOME/nohup.out - how do I direct this output to another named file instead, so I can run several scripts in the background at once, directing their outputs into individual log files? Cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help on nohup

Hi I submitted a long running executable without using nohup. Now, is there any way I can assure to keep that process ON even if my session gets killed? Thanks Bobby (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbyjohnz
3 Replies

3. Solaris

NOHUP not working

Hello All, Here is a problem of NOHUP. I am trying to run a process which needs to be up and running even if the session is closed. I tried running it with "nohup", but starngely it is not working, when i exit from the session the process is also getting killed? plz help me in finding out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamasam
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup - help!

I find that if I use nohup (in bourne shell script) then all the interactive parts in my code are gone hidden... e.g., the places asking input from the user (such as ckyorn) will not be displayed. This is no good. Is there a way to use nohup (or similar utility) and meanwhile, to keep the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
9 Replies

5. AIX

nohup.out

I have a program which writes to nohup.out ... over the time this nohup.out becomes a large file and i cannot read the contents of this file using a vi editor.... whe i do a vi nohup.out it gives an error insufficient memory.... do i need to clean this nohup.out periodically ( or compress it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with nohup

Hello I am running this script inst.sh #!/bin/ksh sqlplus -s username/password @temp.sql ----Here is my temp.sql set serveroutput on select instance_name from V$instance; exit When i run the script inst.sh on the command prompt...it runs fine...but when i run it using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: njafri
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When we need nohup

Hi, I've read the man page on nohup. But I still can't see what's the differences if we just send a process to background versus sending a nohup process to background. eg: myprocess & vs nohup myprocess & Without nohup, myprocess would still run uninterruptible at background... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ehchn1
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup

Hi Every one , i wrote a script for nohpu ,which checks the service by using the port number and starts if it doesnt hear the port. It works good untill i colse the session. how to make it work even after closing the session .And aslo how to deamoize this script #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out

Shell : bash OS : Oracle Linux 6.4 I want to save the ouput of a nohup command to file other than nohup.out . Below are my 3 attempts. For both Attempt1 and Attempt2 , the redirection logs the output correctly to the output file. But I get the error "ignoring input and redirecting stderr to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with nohup

I have a script test1.ksh (Korn shell) and within that I am calling another script test2.ksh test2.ksh runs for a pretty long time and hence wanted to execute as nohup from within test1.ksh nohup ./test2.ksh Question 1) dont think the above is working , although executing the nohup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alldbest
1 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - Runs a utility ignoring hangups and quits SYNOPSIS
nohup utility [argument...] Note The C shell has a built-in version of the nohup command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the com- mand described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/nohup. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in com- mand. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: nohup: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The name of a command to be invoked. Optional arguments required by the utility specified for invokation. DESCRIPTION
The nohup command runs utility, ignoring all hangups and QUIT signals. You can use this command to run programs in the background after logging off the system. To run a nohup command in the background, add an & (ampersand) to the end of the command. If nohup output is redirected to a terminal or is not redirected at all, the output is appended to the file nohup.out. If the file is cre- ated, the permission bits are set to Owner Read and Owner Write(600). If nohup.out is not writable in the current directory, the output is redirected to $HOME/nohup.out. If neither file can be created nor opened for appending, utility is not invoked. If standard error is a terminal, all output written to standard error is appended to the file receiving standard output. The nohup command accepts just one utility as an argument. To apply nohup to a pipeline or list of commands, enter the pipeline or list in a shell script file. Then run sh as utility using the following format: nohup sh -c file [Tru64 UNIX] You can also assign the shell file execute permission and run it as the utility in the form: nohup file NOTES
The term utility, rather than the term command, describes the argument to nohup because shell compound commands, pipelines, special built- in programs, and the like, cannot be handled directly. In addition, the term utility includes user application programs and shell scripts, not just the standard utilities. EXIT STATUS
The nohup command returns the following exit values: The specified utility was found, but could not be invoked. The error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified utility could not be found. The exit status is otherwise that of the utility. EXAMPLES
To leave a command running after logging out (sh only), enter: nohup find / -print & Shortly after you enter this, the following is displayed: 670 $ Sending output to nohup.out The process ID number changes to the background process started by the & (ampersand), in this case, 670. The $ (dollar sign) is the shell prompt. The message following informs you that the output from the find command is in the file nohup.out. Sending output... You can log out after you see these messages, even if the find command has not finished yet. If you are using csh, the built-in command nohup is executed instead of the system command. To execute the nohup system command, you must enter an absolute path. To do the same, but redirect the standard output to a different file, enter: nohup find / -print >filenames & This runs the find command and stores its output in a file named filenames. Now only the process ID and prompt are displayed. Wait for a second or two before logging out, because the nohup command takes a moment to start the command you specified. If you log out too quickly, utility may not run at all. Once utility has started, logging out does not affect it. To run more than one com- mand, use a shell script. For example, if you include the following shell script: comm -23 fi4 fi5 | comm -23 - fi6 | join -a1 - fi7 > comm.out and name it ncomm, you can run nohup for all of the commands in ncomm by entering: nohup sh ncomm If you assign ncomm Execute permission, you can obtain the same results by issuing the command: nohup ncomm To run this command in the background, enter: nohup ncomm & ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of nohup: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Determines the search path that will be used to locate the command to be invoked. FILES
Standard output and standard error file for nohup. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), nice(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: sigaction(2) Standards: standards(5) nohup(1)