Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple question about vmstat
Operating Systems Solaris Simple question about vmstat Post 302541987 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 26th of July 2011 10:18:55 AM
Old 07-26-2011
the first line is always the average value for the whole uptime of the machine. so all other lines are the current values...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vmstat question

Hello all, I have the folowing question: I have an E450 with Solaris 2.6 running in a cluster environment. The primary node runs Oracle 8.1.5. My problem is: every time the Oracle Database is shutdown, the "w"colum in vmstat command jumps to "30". In man page for vmstat command, the "w" colum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: htsubamoto
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

3. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple ls question

i am doing ls -la in the out put , first line is as total 41621 What is this total? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh78
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

vmstat question

if I have a two CPU when I run vmstat command to check cpu usage it only one row procs memory page faults cpu r b w avm free re at pi po fr de sr in sy cs us sy id 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very simple question

Hi, guys, I'm a new comer here. I'm studying Unix Shell and I met a problem confusing me a lot. Here it is : script 1: #!/bin/sh # scriptname : do_increment increment(){ sum=`expr $1 + 1` return $sum # Return the value of sum to the script. } echo -n "The sum is " increment $1 # Call... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very simple question 2

Hey , another question is below: Administrator@fe038390aa60482 ~/Frank/20130509 $ c=`ls -ls` Administrator@fe038390aa60482 ~/Frank/20130509 $ echo $c Total 4 1 -rwxr--r-- 1 Administrator None 482 May 9 11:07 do_increment 1 -rwxr --r-- 1 Administrator None 272 May 9 11:32 do_square 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat Linux question on top and vmstat outputs

RHEL 5.4 Our Linux machine seemed to be running slow. So, I ran the top and vmstat commands. Question1. I can see the process 11517 consuming 100% CPU . But that just means that this process totally utilizes one of the cores in a mult-core CPU. Right ? This machine apparently has two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

10. AIX

Question on r-queue from vmstat out

On our prod system we found sometime runqueue goes back to 0 as below. Whereas on test server even with very very less work the r-queue never dropped to 0. Under what conditions r-queue drops to 0? Does it mean something unusual? EG: kthr memory page faults ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixusrsys
1 Replies
UPTIME(1)							   User Commands							 UPTIME(1)

NAME
uptime - Tell how long the system has been running. SYNOPSIS
uptime [options] DESCRIPTION
uptime gives a one line display of the following information. The current time, how long the system has been running, how many users are currently logged on, and the system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. This is the same information contained in the header line displayed by w(1). System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken over the three time intervals. Load averages are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load average of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4 CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time. OPTIONS
-p, --pretty show uptime in pretty format -h, --help display this help text -s, --since system up since, in yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS format -V, --version display version information and exit FILES
/var/run/utmp information about who is currently logged on /proc process information AUTHORS
uptime was written by Larry Greenfield <greenfie@gauss.rutgers.edu> and Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@sunsite.unc.edu> SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), utmp(5), w(1) REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng December 2012 UPTIME(1)