Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can't open /etc/passwd file
Operating Systems Solaris can't open /etc/passwd file Post 302541462 by jlliagre on Sunday 24th of July 2011 06:30:44 PM
Old 07-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.goel.piet
However I am able to login through my normal users as root and sysdba etc...
Then your system might be configured to use a remote naming service, like nis or ldap. What says
Code:
 grep passwd /etc/nsswitch.conf

?

Or perhaps are you in a chrooted environment, a bogus zone, whatever ...
Quote:
Please advice if a FS restore from a tape backup can resolve the issue?
You probably should better figure out first what caused that problem before trying to correct it.
Quote:
..or a reboot will also serve my cause?
or the opposite.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd file contents

Hi All Here is a the enty for my user on a UNIX from the /etc/passwd file, i want to know what each field denotes where can i get to know it? kankipas:!:275:1:Swaraj Kankipati - Brea PTX Support:/home/kankipas:/usr/bin/ksh If anyone could tell me that would be great Thanks Swaraj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
5 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in user field , what is nologin in the last column ? root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
4 Replies

4. Solaris

A question on /etc/passwd file

I have a question here on /etc/passwd file. There is a user called user_a, when it is defined in /etc/passwd as below +user_a:x:::::/bin/ksh after user_a login, the system could not recognize the correct enviromental variable $USER_A_HOME which is defined in .kshrc file (under /home/user_a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ij_2005
2 Replies

5. Solaris

UIDs in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, I am bit confused about UIDs on my server where LDAP athentication happens. UIDs are generally in the range of 0-65534 for any Solaris OS version(correct if i am wrong). My server is running on Solaris 9. Below are user accounts available on my server. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
10 Replies

6. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. AIX

Default /etc/passwd file

Hello All, Can anyone post the default /etc/passwd file for AIX? I would like to compare with an existing machine of mine and want to identify what are the default users that are created when the O/S is installed. In other words I would like to see the system users in AIX. Not the ones created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with passwd file

Not an unix expert, I read a few pages on the web about passwd files, but I didn't find the answers I need about the last 8 lines of the passwd file I'm taking a look at. I'm assuming their shortcuts to another file that may have the actual usernames of users on the system. Please, any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusion31
1 Replies

10. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)