Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can't open /etc/passwd file
Operating Systems Solaris can't open /etc/passwd file Post 302541459 by methyl on Sunday 24th of July 2011 06:14:58 PM
Old 07-24-2011
What is the output from this sequence of enquiry commands?

Code:
# Find out what Operating System we have. Please blank any machine names with X's.
uname -a
# Find out what Shell we are running
echo $SHELL
# Find out what user we are (should be real root)
who am I
# Find out if $PATH is wrong
echo $PATH
# Find out filesystem for root
cd /
df -k .
# Find out inode number of root directory
ls -liad /
#
#
# Change to directory under question
cd /export/home/eschhen/
# Find out which filesystem we are on
df -k .
# Find out inode for root
ls -liad /
# Look at directory listing allowing for control characters in directory names 
# Also show inode numbers relative to this filesystem
ls -liabr

With the above information we should hopefully be able to work out what is happening here.

Ps. I broadly agree with jlliagre but have a nagging doubt about whether there is a rogue mount (or to be strictly correct an "automount" trigged by a "cd").

Last edited by methyl; 07-24-2011 at 07:49 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd file contents

Hi All Here is a the enty for my user on a UNIX from the /etc/passwd file, i want to know what each field denotes where can i get to know it? kankipas:!:275:1:Swaraj Kankipati - Brea PTX Support:/home/kankipas:/usr/bin/ksh If anyone could tell me that would be great Thanks Swaraj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
5 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in user field , what is nologin in the last column ? root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
4 Replies

4. Solaris

A question on /etc/passwd file

I have a question here on /etc/passwd file. There is a user called user_a, when it is defined in /etc/passwd as below +user_a:x:::::/bin/ksh after user_a login, the system could not recognize the correct enviromental variable $USER_A_HOME which is defined in .kshrc file (under /home/user_a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ij_2005
2 Replies

5. Solaris

UIDs in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, I am bit confused about UIDs on my server where LDAP athentication happens. UIDs are generally in the range of 0-65534 for any Solaris OS version(correct if i am wrong). My server is running on Solaris 9. Below are user accounts available on my server. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
10 Replies

6. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. AIX

Default /etc/passwd file

Hello All, Can anyone post the default /etc/passwd file for AIX? I would like to compare with an existing machine of mine and want to identify what are the default users that are created when the O/S is installed. In other words I would like to see the system users in AIX. Not the ones created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with passwd file

Not an unix expert, I read a few pages on the web about passwd files, but I didn't find the answers I need about the last 8 lines of the passwd file I'm taking a look at. I'm assuming their shortcuts to another file that may have the actual usernames of users on the system. Please, any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusion31
1 Replies

10. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
File::Find::Rule::Extending(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    File::Find::Rule::Extending(3)

NAME
File::Find::Rule::Extending - the mini-guide to extending File::Find::Rule SYNOPSIS
package File::Find::Rule::Random; use strict; # take useful things from File::Find::Rule use base 'File::Find::Rule'; # and force our crack into the main namespace sub File::Find::Rule::random () { my $self = shift()->_force_object; $self->exec( sub { rand > 0.5 } ); } 1; DESCRIPTION
File::Find::Rule went down so well with the buying public that everyone wanted to add extra features. With the 0.07 release this became a possibility, using the following conventions. Declare your package package File::Find::Rule::Random; use strict; Inherit methods from File::Find::Rule # take useful things from File::Find::Rule use base 'File::Find::Rule'; Force your madness into the main package # and force our crack into the main namespace sub File::Find::Rule::random () { my $self = shift()->_force_object; $self->exec( sub { rand > 0.5 } ); } Yes, we're being very cavalier here and defining things into the main File::Find::Rule namespace. This is due to lack of imaginiation on my part - I simply can't find a way for the functional and oo interface to work without doing this or some kind of inheritance, and inheritance stops you using two File::Find::Rule::Foo modules together. For this reason try and pick distinct names for your extensions. If this becomes a problem then I may institute a semi-official registry of taken names. Taking no arguments. Note the null prototype on random. This is a cheat for the procedural interface to know that your sub takes no arguments, and so allows this to happen: find( random => in => '.' ); If you hadn't declared "random" with a null prototype it would have consumed "in" as a parameter to it, then got all confused as it doesn't know about a '.' rule. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule File::Find::Rule::MMagic was the first extension module, so maybe check that out. perl v5.18.2 2011-09-19 File::Find::Rule::Extending(3)