Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: "Pipe" character in filename
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers "Pipe" character in filename Post 302541128 by Corona688 on Friday 22nd of July 2011 02:16:12 PM
Old 07-22-2011
Cygwin is not an emulator. It runs inside Windows and has all the same limits.

It would be really helpful to know what the external drive's filesystem was.

Try a Knoppix livecd. You can boot into a complete Linux system off DVD without installing anything on your computer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the "\" and "\n" character using sed or tr

Hi All, I'm trying to write a ksh script to parse a file. When the "\" character is encountered, it should be removed and the next line should be concatenated with the current line. For example... this is a test line #1\ should be concatenated with line #2\ and line number 3 when this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_coder
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe to "xargs rm" : filename with spaces

Hi all, Am piping a list of files to "xargs rm -v". The files may have spaces in their names. Please advise how do i deal with it... :confused: Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the meaning of "!:*" in "alias foo 'command\!:*' filename"

Hi: How can I remove my own post? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"tail -n 1 filename" error while "head -n 1 filename" is ok?

Hi all, I was wondering why tail -n 2 filename produce an error when I manage to do similar command on head -n 2 filename SunOS{type8code0}: tail -n 2 filename usage: tail ] tail ] (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: type8code0
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
grub(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   grub(5)

NAME
grub - GRand Unified Bootloader software on Solaris DESCRIPTION
The current release of the Solaris operating system is shipped with the GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) software. GRUB is developed and supported by the Free Software Foundation. The overview for the GRUB Manual, accessible at www.gnu.org, describes GRUB: Briefly, a boot loader is the first software program that runs when a computer starts. It is responsible for loading and transferring con- trol to an operating system kernel software (such as Linux or GNU Mach). The kernel, in turn, initializes the rest of the operating system (for example, a GNU [Ed. note: or Solaris] system). GNU GRUB is a very powerful boot loader that can load a wide variety of free, as well as proprietary, operating systems, by means of chain- loading. GRUB is designed to address the complexity of booting a personal computer; both the program and this manual are tightly bound to that computer platform, although porting to other platforms may be addressed in the future. [Ed. note: Sun has ported GRUB to the Solaris operating system.] One of the important features in GRUB is flexibility; GRUB understands filesystems and kernel executable formats, so you can load an arbi- trary operating system the way you like, without recording the physical position of your kernel on the disk. Thus you can load the kernel just by specifying its file name and the drive and partition where the kernel resides. Among Solaris machines, GRUB is supported on x86 platforms. The GRUB software that is shipped with Solaris adds two utilities not present in the open-source distribution: bootadm(1M) Enables you to manage the boot archive and make changes to the GRUB menu. installgrub(1M) Loads the boot program from disk. Both of these utilities are described in Solaris man pages. Beyond these two Solaris-specific utilities, the GRUB software is described in the GRUB manual, a PDF version of which is available from the Sun web site. Available in the same location is the grub(8) open-source man page. This man page describes the GRUB shell. SEE ALSO
boot(1M), bootadm(1M), installgrub(1M) Solaris Express Installation Guide: Basic Installations System Administration Guide: Basic Administration http://www.gnu.org/software/grub SunOS 5.11 21 Apr 2005 grub(5)