Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to find root element name of XML file Post 302540892 by ricksj on Friday 22nd of July 2011 02:50:53 PM
Old 07-22-2011
thanks for the reply, but something a little more specific would be more helpful.

---------- Post updated 07-22-11 at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous update was 07-21-11 at 10:57 PM ----------

I found a solution for anyone searching this thread:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use File::Basename;
use XML::DOM;
my $inputFile = $ARGV[0];
my($XMLfile, $inputpath) = fileparse($inputFile);
chdir($inputpath) or die "Can\'t chdir to $inputpath";
my $parser = new XML::DOM::Parser;
my $doc = $parser->parsefile($XMLfile) or die "Could not parse!";
my $docNode   = $doc->getDocumentElement->getTagName;
print "Tag Name: ".$docNode."\n";

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a XML element and moving the file

Hi All, I am looking for a awk/shell which can find an element named REFERENCE in a XML file and check whether it is empty or not. If there is no value in the REFERENCE element then correspondingly move the file to some other folder. The Unix server is AIX version 4. Any inputs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: karansachdeva
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML root element

Hi All Can someone please help me with this awk to search an element in a XML file with a particular value and then change the root element. Thanks & Regards Karan (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: karansachdeva
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract XML Element Values

I have a rather large file with XML-style content. Each line contains one full XML entry. For example: 1:<Message><DNIS>1234</DNIS><UCID>3456</UCID><TransferGroup>XYZXYZ</TransferGroup></Message> 2:<Message><DNIS>9999</DNIS><UCID>2584</UCID><TransferGroup>ABCABC</TransferGroup></Message>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharpi03
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

read XML xml element with REGEXP

Hi, I would need to read an xml element from an xml file to a local variable. Please could you help me with a shell script to get so? Considering that I have a file called file.xml like below: <header> <description>This is the description</description> <content>This is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oscarmon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell call xalan to transform xml with xslt, but can not find root node

hi experts: i am using xslt to transform xml in shell. But can not find root node of source xml, if i remove the naming space definition in source xml, it works fine. So our the question is how to let xslt know the naming space of srouce xml file? Thanks for your kindly help in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the Root Element from the XML File

Any help to extract the root element from an XML file will be appreciated. Example: test.xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <TestXMLMessage> <TestRec> <ID>1000</ID> </TestRec> </TestXMLMessage> Wanted to extract the TestXMLMessage. Regards, Chari (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sree_chari
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Perl XML::DOM: How to test if element exists?

Hi, I'm trying to write a script for some xml file handling, but I'm not getting too far with it. I've got the following xml content <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Test xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" > <Operation name="OPER1"> <Action name="ACTION1">... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if XML element has a matching required element

I want to check if every <Part> element has corresponding <Description> in this sample XML. ....<Lot Of XML> <Inv lineNumber="2"> <Item> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge XML file (to same root)

HI I am looking for a easy way to merge 2 xml files like the following file 1: will have a structure like this <Group GID="TOTO" NAME="TOTO" UNITS="1.0"> <Property NAME="Id" VALUE="TOTO"/> <Property NAME="Currency" VALUE="USD"/> <Group... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kykyboss
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract Element from XML file

<?xml version = '1.0' encoding =... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
8 Replies
XML::DOM::Parser(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       XML::DOM::Parser(3)

NAME
XML::DOM::Parser - An XML::Parser that builds XML::DOM document structures SYNOPSIS
use XML::DOM; my $parser = new XML::DOM::Parser; my $doc = $parser->parsefile ("file.xml"); $doc->dispose; # Avoid memory leaks - cleanup circular references DESCRIPTION
XML::DOM::Parser extends XML::Parser The XML::Parser module was written by Clark Cooper and is built on top of XML::Parser::Expat, which is a lower level interface to James Clark's expat library. XML::DOM::Parser parses XML strings or files and builds a data structure that conforms to the API of the Document Object Model as described at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1 <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1>. See the XML::Parser manpage for other additional properties of the XML::DOM::Parser class. Note that the 'Style' property should not be used (it is set internally.) The XML::Parser NoExpand option is more or less supported, in that it will generate EntityReference objects whenever an entity reference is encountered in character data. I'm not sure how useful this is. Any comments are welcome. As described in the synopsis, when you create an XML::DOM::Parser object, the parse and parsefile methods create an XML::DOM::Document object from the specified input. This Document object can then be examined, modified and written back out to a file or converted to a string. When using XML::DOM with XML::Parser version 2.19 and up, setting the XML::DOM::Parser option KeepCDATA to 1 will store CDATASections in CDATASection nodes, instead of converting them to Text nodes. Subsequent CDATASection nodes will be merged into one. Let me know if this is a problem. Using LWP to parse URLs The parsefile() method now also supports URLs, e.g. http://www.erols.com/enno/xsa.xml. It uses LWP to download the file and then calls parse() on the resulting string. By default it will use a LWP::UserAgent that is created as follows: use LWP::UserAgent; $LWP_USER_AGENT = LWP::UserAgent->new; $LWP_USER_AGENT->env_proxy; Note that env_proxy reads proxy settings from environment variables, which is what I need to do to get thru our firewall. If you want to use a different LWP::UserAgent, you can either set it globally with: XML::DOM::Parser::set_LWP_UserAgent ($my_agent); or, you can specify it for a specific XML::DOM::Parser by passing it to the constructor: my $parser = new XML::DOM::Parser (LWP_UserAgent => $my_agent); Currently, LWP is used when the filename (passed to parsefile) starts with one of the following URL schemes: http, https, ftp, wais, gopher, or file (followed by a colon.) If I missed one, please let me know. The LWP modules are part of libwww-perl which is available at CPAN. perl v5.12.1 2002-07-31 XML::DOM::Parser(3)