Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting a portion of the string and comparing Post 302540802 by bobby1015 on Thursday 21st of July 2011 03:46:04 PM
Old 07-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Life
See this works for you:
Code:
sed 's/.\{17\}\(.\{9\}\).*/\1/' File2 > File2.acct
egrep -f File2.acct File1

That doesnt work..

---------- Post updated at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Life
See this works for you:
Code:
sed 's/.\{17\}\(.\{9\}\).*/\1/' File2 > File2.acct
egrep -f File2.acct File1

sed 's/.\{17\}\(.\{9\}\).*/\1/' File2 > File2.acctThis has yielded all the account numbers from file1..what to do next ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract a portion of a string from the whole string

How to extract a portion of a string from a full string using unix. For example: Say source string is = "req92374923.log" I want only the numeric portion of the string say "92374923" how to do that in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ds_sastry
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of a data file with identifier

Hi, I do have a TAB delimted text file with the following format. 1 (- identifier of each group. this text is not present in the file only number) 1 3 4 65 56 WERTF 2 3 4 56 56 GHTYHU 3 3 5 64 23 VMFKLG 2 1 3 4 65 56 DGTEYDH 2 3 4 56 56 FJJJCKC 3 3 5 64 23 FNNNCHD 3 1 3 4 65 56 JDHJDH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of data from a very large tab delimited text file

Hi All I wanted to know how to effectively delete some columns in a large tab delimited file. I have a file that contains 5 columns and almost 100,000 rows 3456 f g t t 3456 g h 456 f h 4567 f g h z 345 f g 567 h j k lThis is a very large data file and tab delimited. I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting portion of string

Hi Gurus, I've some sample of my log information as shown below. -> Processing ABCD123456 This is tp version 372.04.57 (release 700, unicode enabled) This is R3trans version 6.14 (release 700 - 05.03.09 - 08:28:00). unicode enabled version R3trans finished (0000). Warning: Parameter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first portion of string

I have a script which currently uses a file containing a list of directories as an argument. The file is read in to an array, and then the array is iterated in a for loop. What I would like to do is cut off the first few directories of the directory path (they won't exist on the server where the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract portion of a string?

Hi Gurus, Would like to seek some help on how to extract a portion of string from log's output as shown below. Sample of raw data: piece handle=/test123/disk_dump/test123/df0_cntrl_PCPFCI20120404_68498 tag=TAG20120404T180035 comment=NONE piece... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of the filename

Hi I would like to extract the first portion of filename from a list of files. The filename pattern is of the form 123456789_TEXT_TEXT_TEXT_.csv. I want to extract just the numerical portion of this filename from the list of files and then output this into another text file. K (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamal_p_99
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get portion of string from the end

Hi all, Can anyone suggest a way to get a portion of string from the end? So: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr1 We can drop the final '1' and end up with: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr So far I have the following: echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-5 and echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-6 | rev any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting directory portion.

Dear Experts, I have some directory structure something like follows. I would like to cut portion of it. Would you please help me? I have to run this on several sql's. The directory path is dynamic. I have cut what comes after first "sql" string. Input:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
3 Replies
holidays(4)							   File Formats 						       holidays(4)

NAME
holidays - prime/nonprime table for the accounting system SYNOPSIS
/etc/acct/holidays DESCRIPTION
The /etc/acct/holidays file describes which hours are considered prime time and which days are holidays. Holidays and weekends are con- sidered non-prime time hours. /etc/acct/holidays is used by the accounting system. All lines beginning with an "*" are comments. The /etc/acct/holidays file consists of two sections. The first non-comment line defines the current year and the start time of prime and non-prime time hours, in the form: current_year prime_start non_prime_start The remaining non-comment lines define the holidays in the form: month/day company_holiday Of these two fields, only the month/day is actually used by the accounting system programs. The /etc/acct/holidays file must be updated each year. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Example of the /etc/acct/holidays file. The following is an example of the /etc/acct/holidays file: * Prime/Nonprime Table for the accounting system * * Curr Prime Non-Prime * Year Start Start * 1991 0830 1800 * * only the first column (month/day) is significant. * * month/day Company Holiday * 1/1 New Years Day 5/30 Memorial Day 7/4 Indep. Day 9/5 Labor Day 11/24 Thanksgiving Day 11/25 day after Thanksgiving 12/25 Christmas 12/26 day after Christmas SEE ALSO
acct(1M) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1991 holidays(4)