Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Basic Query]bsh script in tcsh shell Post 302540205 by animesharma on Wednesday 20th of July 2011 03:09:30 AM
Old 07-20-2011
[Basic Query]bsh script in tcsh shell

I am a beginner (Just 2 days oldSmilie ), i will really appreciate if you can solve my silly queries as below:

Lets say i write a script like this

Code:
#!/bin/bsh
clear
#to read name from keyboard
echo "your name please.."
read fname
echo "you just entered $fname"
exit 0

My environment is set to work in tcsh.
My query are:
a) how does placing !/bin/bsh as comment results in its execution as bsh shell? AS i am a beginner, i need to know if it is an exception ? how does placing a path as comment affects the execution of code.

b)If, say i place the path as second line of my comment. assume my first two lines are as below

#just comment
#!/bin/bsh

The code executed, but i also get some errors which says command not found.

c) Is it compulsorily to place "exit 0" at the end of every script? where should it be used?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A basic query

In a Bourne shell script, I often come across statements involving `sh -c`. I was not able to make out if any reason is there behind that. example: echo `sh -c 'date'` killing all server processes Instead of the above, I can use echo `date` killing all server processes. Is there any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell script syntax help

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. I have a variable which holds a numeric value.I have to check whether this variable holds a value between(0- 8),(8-17)(17-24).How do i write this syntax using if in shell scripting. Thanks Vignesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

3. SCO

Bsh shell on SCO

I everybody! I am trying to install the bsh shell on a SCO unix and i don't know how. The deal is that i have an old SCO unix running with an old system made with cobol, so it works with shell menus and it use a variety of a shell called bsh (Business Shell) so i search for a package to install... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: martocapo
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script basic doubt

hi, I am new script learner, so my basic doubt is , how to store value of any command in a variable example $ ls | wc -l i want to stote the output of this in a variable c. so that i can use c in if else loop. and when do we use " ` " symbol in script.. can anyone also tell for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi2_t
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Shell Script Help

Lets say I wanted to create a script that would show what people are doing on my machine using the w command and refresh in about 6 seconds. What would be the easiest way to do this? I pretty much want the script to loop until I stop it. I'm using the BASH shell by the way. Help is appreciated.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c4391
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic shell script help

Im trying to make a script that simply adds a word to the last available line in a txt file without overwriting any previous lines. Ive googled this and there are great examples but no one explain what each function does, and i dont entirely understand how it works. Basically Im looking for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylecn
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh env setting using shell script

Hi All, I have made a file file usercreate.sh & it has to run in tcsh env & needs some path to be set. my script is as below. ########################## #!/bin/csh setenv PATH "/usr/lib/java/class" setenv LD_LIBRARAY_PATH ########################### but when i am ruuning my script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Basic shell script advice

##### (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AidoPotato
2 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD