Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Yank versus control-insert formatting differences? Post 302540025 by marshlight on Tuesday 19th of July 2011 10:44:04 AM
Old 07-19-2011
Thanks for the reply! I had taken a 111x147 gridmap of the above format (I do need all the columns eventually) and shortened it to 90x97 - that's what I meant by paring down. But your instructions may be useful in the future!

After I read what I wrote, I realized it sounded crazy, so I went digging for other reasons why things might not be working. It appears that there's another file that is connected to what str2int reads, and if everything (ie gridmap definition) doesn't exactly match, it doesn't work and defaults to the error above. Not a particularly enlightening system but it gives me something to go on. In short, nevermind...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

yank

This is supposed to be simple to do but I am having a hard time trying to yank 1 line (yy) but creating from it 100 lines. I can do yy then keep hitting . to repeat but it doesn't make sense. I may want to create 1000 lines from the one liner. yy then 99 p doesn't work.... Thanks. I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CTRL+H versus ^? versus BACKSPACE

Hi Gurus! I recently got my shell account (HP UX v11) created by our sysadmin and am having problem deleting with the backspace key. After doing some reading, I believe I need to enter a custom "STTY..." statement in my profile. Can someone please help me with the correct "STTY" sequence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

<LF> versus <CR>/<LF>

Hello, Can someone explain how to distinguish a LF character and a CR/LF character in a text file from a shell script. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

annoying vi yank word + delete all question

Hello when i try to yank word only that looks like this "$$foo$" when i stand with my curser marker on the first char ($) and do in vi : "yw" (yank word) its yanks me only the "$" char when i stand white my curser on "f" its yank's me only "foo" how can i yank all word no matter what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yank a column in vi

I have a file which has data in columns. Is there a way to yank columns in vi? I tried searching in this forum. I did not find it. Please help me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevelrf
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cpio versus cp

I am copying a file system to another one. someone suggest me use find . -print |cpio -pdmv but I think cp -r should do the same thing. Am I right? In addition, by using " find . ", I got all the file names,, why do I have to use the -print option? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredao
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

^M in yank but not in file in Vim

I am trying to visually select a section of text in vim and then substitute for it using the :%s/ sequence. First I visually select text. Then I yank using "ay. Then I type :%s/ followed by Control R and the register name, in this case a. This fills in the text I have visually selected into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enobarbus37
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 Flat Files and process the differences

Hi Hope you are having a great weeknd !! I had a question and need your expertise for this : I have 2 files File1 & File2(of same structure) which I need to compare on some columns. I need to find the values which are there in File2 but not in File 1 and put the Differences in another file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_8398
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert LF and TAB for formatting

trying to insert a LF and 2 TABs for this: sed 's/<td><\/td>/<td>\n\t\t<\/td>/' infile. but, I'm not getting the syntax for inserting the LF and TABs correct (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting file data to another file (control character related)

I have to write a program to read data from files and then format into another file. However, I face a strange problem related to control character that I can't understand and solve. The source file is compose of many lines with such format: T_NAME|P_NAME|P_CODE|DOCUMENT_PATH|REG_DATE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk6279
3 Replies
AnyData::Storage::File(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       AnyData::Storage::File(3pm)

NAME
AnyData::Storage::File -- manipulate files with rich warnings DESCRIPTION
Opens, reads from, writes to, creates and destroys files with numerous options for error handling, flocking, binmode, etc. The simplest form is the equivalent of my $f = AnyData::Storage::File->new(dirs=>@dirs,flock=>1); my $str1 = $f->adSlurp($file); for( @dirs ) { open(IN,$file) or die $!; } sub slurp { local *IN; local $/ = undef; } But, depending on how you set the default behaviour SYNOPSIS
use AnyData; my $f = AnyData::Storage::File->new; $f->set('binmode',1|0); $f->set('PrintError',1|0); $f->set('RaiseError',1|0); $f->set('Trace',1|0); $f->set('f_dir',$dir|$dir_array) < input, fail if doesn't exist > output, truncate if exists, create if doesn't >> append, create if doesn't exist +< read/write, fail if doesn't exist r = < r+ = new() my $f = AnyData::Storage::File->new; or my $f = AnyData::Storage::File->new( %flags ); %flags is a hash which can contain any or all of: f_dir => $directory, # defaults to './' ( binmode => $binmode, # defaults to 0 (doesn't binmode files) printError => $warnings, # defaults to 1 (print warning on errors) open_local_file( $fname, $mode ); Mode is one of a = append open for reading & writing, create if doesn't exist r = read open for reading, fail if doesn't exist u = open open for reading & writing, fail if doesn't exist c = create open for reading & writing, fail if it already exists o = overwrite open for reading & writing, overwrite if it already exists Additionally, all modes fail if the file can't be opened. On systems that support flock, 'r' fails if a shared lock can not be obtained; the other modes fail if an exclusive lock can't be obtained. perl v5.10.1 2004-08-17 AnyData::Storage::File(3pm)