Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with tape drive
Operating Systems Solaris Help with tape drive Post 302539169 by eddy_sysad on Friday 15th of July 2011 02:10:33 PM
Old 07-15-2011
a-HA. I think you're right. Just checked the HCL and I do not see our SCSI card listed.

Guess I'll go sift through the rubbage heap to see if I can find one that is.

Thanks!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape drive install

I'm trying to install a tape drive on a compaq SCO OS 505. well I have gone through the mkdev tape comands and what have you yet no luck. when I reboot and do a simple tape rewind it gives me an error no such device etc.etc. IS there a diference in the xct0 and rct0 a the default? help.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikkin
2 Replies

2. Linux

Installing tape drive?

Hello. I have Redhat 8.0 on a laptop. Working good. I wanted to install the tape drive that is physically attached to it. The tape drive worked fine under Windows98SE. It's one of those parallel QIC-80 drives and I confirmed that it is supported by FTape. It appears that FTape might already... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RuralTurtle
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape drive

Hi, I need to restore my tape backup, when I type "tape status" it gives; status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 3 but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

4. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

5. SCO

Tape Drive Configuration

Dear All, I have a tape drive which has worked for offer 3yrs properly on SCO Openserver Release = 3.2v5.0.5. I tried to clean it all invain. I did a fresh installation of unix of the same OS and did the configuration still didn't bear fruits. The tape is a scsi and the configuration is as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoroge
4 Replies

6. SCO

Tape Drive Logs?

I've recently been tasked with "refurbishing" an HP Proliant ML370 running SCO 5.0...something. This is primarily used for legacy support and is kept on a shelf for safe keeping. The scope of work includes hardware diagnostics and blowing the dust out. I have run HP diagnostics on the array,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: v1corp
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quantum tape drive

Hi, Using Redhat 5.7. I have Quantum tape drive connected to the server. I am trying to install the Netbackup software. Just wondering how can I see the Quantum is connected to the server. is any command I run to see the tape drive is connected? I used to work on Solaris, I used to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samnyc
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies
ufsdump(4)							   File Formats 							ufsdump(4)

NAME
ufsdump, dumpdates - incremental dump format SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/inode.h> #include <protocols/dumprestore.h> /etc/dumpdates DESCRIPTION
Tapes used by ufsdump(1M) and ufsrestore(1M) contain: o a header record o two groups of bit map records o a group of records describing directories o a group of records describing files The format of the header record and the format of the first record of each description in the <protocols/dumprestore.h> include file are: #define TP_BSIZE_MAX 65536 #define TP_BSIZE_MIN 1024 #define ESIZE_SHIFT_MAX 6 #ifdef SUPPORTS_MTB_TAPE_FORMAT #define TP_BUFSIZE TP_BSIZE_MAX #else #define TP_BSIZE 1024 #define TP_BUFSIZE TP_BSIZE #endif /* SUPPORTS_MTB_TAPE_FORMAT */ #define NTREC 10 #define HIGHDENSITYTREC 32 #define CARTRIDGETREC 63 #define TP_NINDIR (TP_BSIZE_MIN/2) #define TP_NINOS (TP_NINDIR / sizeof (long)) #define LBLSIZE 16 #define NAMELEN 64 #define OFS_MAGIC (int)60011 #define NFS_MAGIC (int)60012 #define MTB_MAGIC (int)60013 #define CHECKSUM (int)84446 union u_data { char s_addrs[TP_NINDIR]; int32_t s_inos[TP_NINOS]; }; union u_shadow { struct s_nonsh { int32_t c_level; char c_filesys[NAMELEN]; char c_dev[NAMELEN]; char c_host[NAMELEN]; } c_nonsh; char c_shadow[1]; }; union u_spcl { char dummy[TP_BUFSIZE]; struct s_spcl { int32_t c_type; time32_t c_date; time32_t c_ddate; int32_t c_volume; daddr32_t c_tapea; ino32_t c_inumber; int32_t c_magic; int32_t c_checksum; struct dinode c_dinode; int32_t c_count; union u_data c_data; char c_label[LBLSIZE]; union u_shadow c_shadow; int32_t c_flags; int32_t c_firstrec; #ifdef SUPPORTS_MTB_TAPE_FORMAT int32_t c_tpbsize; int32_t c_spare[31]; #else int32_t c_spare[32]; #endif /* SUPPORTS_MTB_TAPE_FORMAT */ } s_spcl; } u_spcl; int32_t c_type; time32_t c_date; time32_t c_ddate; int32_t c_volume; daddr32_t c_tapea; ino32_t c_inumber; int32_t c_magic; int32_t c_checksum; struct dinode c_dinode; int32_t c_count; union u_data c_data; char c_label[LBLSIZE]; union u_shadow c_shadow; int32_t c_flags; int32_t c_firstrec; #ifdef SUPPORTS_MTB_TAPE_FORMAT int32_t c_tpbsize; int32_t c_spare[31]; #else int32_t c_spare[32]; #endif /* SUPPORTS_MTB_TAPE_FORMAT */ } s_spcl; } u_spcl; #define spcl u_spcl.s_spcl #define c_addr c_data.s_addrs #define c_inos c_data.s_inos #define c_level c_shadow.c_nonsh.c_level #define c_filesys c_shadow.c_nonsh.c_filesys #define c_dev c_shadow.c_nonsh.c_dev #define c_host c_shadow.c_nonsh.c_host #define TS_TAPE 1 #define TS_INODE 2 #define TS_ADDR 4 #define TS_BITS 3 #define TS_CLRI 6 #define TS_END 5 #define TS_EOM 7 #define DR_NEWHEADER 1 #define DR_INODEINFO 2 #define DR_REDUMP 4 #define DR_TRUEINC 8 #define DR_HASMETA 16 This header describes three formats for the ufsdump/ufsrestore interface: o An old format, non-MTB, that supports dump sizes of less than 2 terabytes. This format is represented by NFS_MAGIC. o A new format, MTB, that supports dump sizes of greater than 2 terabytes using a variable block size and 2 new constants: TP_BSIZE_MIN and TP_BSIZE_MAX. This format is represented by MTB_MAGIC. o A much older format that might be found on existing backup tapes. The ufsrestore command can restore tapes of this format, but no longer generates tapes of this format. Backups in this format have the OFS_MAGIC magic number in their tape headers. The constants are described as follows: TP_BSIZE Size of file blocks on the dump tapes for the old format. Note that TP_BSIZE must be a multiple of DEV_BSIZE This is applicable for dumps of type NFS_MAGIC or OFS_MAGIC, but is not applicable for dumps of type MTB_MAGIC. TP_BSIZE_MIN Minimum size of file blocks on the dump tapes for the new MTB format (MTB_MAGIC) only. TP_BSIZE_MAX Maximum size of file blocks on the dump tapes for the new MTB format (MTB_MAGIC) only. NTREC Number of TP_BSIZE blocks that are written in each tape record. HIGHDENSITYNTREC Number of TP_BSIZE blocks that are written in each tape record on 6250 BPI or higher density tapes. CARTRIDGETREC Number of TP_BSIZE blocks that are written in each tape record on cartridge tapes. TP_NINDIR Number of indirect pointers in a TS_INODE or TS_ADDR record. It must be a power of 2. TP_NINOS The maximum number of volumes on a tape. LBLSIZE The maximum size of a volume label. NAMELEN The maximum size of a host's name. OFS_MAGIC Magic number that is used for the very old format. NFS_MAGIC Magic number that is used for the non-MTB format. MTB_MAGIC Magic number that is used for the MTB format. CHECKSUM Header records checksum to this value. The TS_ entries are used in the c_type field to indicate what sort of header this is. The types and their meanings are as follows: TS_TAPE Tape volume label. TS_INODE A file or directory follows. The c_dinode field is a copy of the disk inode and contains bits telling what sort of file this is. TS_ADDR A subrecord of a file description. See s_addrs below. TS_BITS A bit map follows. This bit map has a one bit for each inode that was dumped. TS_CLRI A bit map follows. This bit map contains a zero bit for all inodes that were empty on the file system when dumped. TS_END End of tape record. TS_EOM diskette EOMindicates that the restore is compatible with old dump The flags are described as follows: DR_NEWHEADER New format tape header. DR_INFODEINFO Header contains starting inode info. DR_REDUMP Dump contains recopies of active files. DR_TRUEINC Dump is a "true incremental". DR_HASMETA The metadata in this header. DUMPOUTFMT Name, incon, and ctime (date) for printf. DUMPINFMT Inverse for scanf. The fields of the header structure are as follows: s_addrs An array of bytes describing the blocks of the dumped file. A byte is zero if the block associated with that byte was not present on the file system; otherwise, the byte is non-zero. If the block was not present on the file lsystem, no block was dumped; the block will be stored as a hole in the file. If there is not sufficient space in this record to describe all the blocks in a file, TS_ADDR records will be scattered through the file, each one picking up where the last left off s_inos The starting inodes on tape. c_type The type of the record. c_date The date of the previous dump. c_ddate The date of this dump. c_volume The current volume number of the dump. c_tapea The logical block of this record. c_inumber The number of the inode being dumped if this is of type TS_INODE. c_magic This contains the value MAGIC above, truncated as needed. c_checksum This contains whatever value is needed to make the record sum to CHECKSUM. c_dinode This is a copy of the inode as it appears on the file system. c_count The count of bytes in s_addrs. u_data c_data The union of either u_data c_data The union of either s_addrs or s_inos. c_label Label for this dump. c_level Level of this dump. c_filesys Name of dumped file system. c_dev Name of dumped service. c_host Name of dumped host. c_flags Additional information. c_firstrec First record on volume. c_spare Reserved for future uses. c_tpbsize Tape block size for MTB format only. Each volume except the last ends with a tapemark (read as an end of file). The last volume ends with a TS_END record and then the tapemark. The dump history is kept in the file /etc/dumpdates. It is an ASCII file with three fields separated by white space: o The name of the device on which the dumped file system resides. o The level number of the dump tape; see ufsdump(1M). o The date of the incremental dump in the format generated by ctime(3C). DUMPOUTFMT is the format to use when using printf(3C) to write an entry to /etc/dumpdates; DUMPINFMT is the format to use when using scanf(3C) to read an entry from /etc/dumpdates. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability Level |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ufsdump(1M), ufsrestore(1M), ctime(3C), printf(3C), scanf(3C), types.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), SunOS 5.10 9 Apr 2003 ufsdump(4)