Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Who edited my text file?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Who edited my text file? Post 302538750 by thegeek on Thursday 14th of July 2011 05:49:42 AM
Old 07-14-2011
even after changing the permission, if u face this problem, then i guess it should be some program ( process ) which is running in your username is editing that log file !

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edited Path in Profile File

Definitely a unix dummy. I edited the paths in the /etc/profile file - following the instructions on an install package. Now can't use vi, cat pg ls or any other unix commands. Guess I'm in big trouble. Path reads MANPATH=/opt/hpnp/man PATH=/opt/hpnpl/bin LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/hpnp/lib ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thewetch
4 Replies

2. Solaris

/etc/profile file edited. No command working

I have X4500 and I created a user. I wanted to give him root privileges and for editing the sudoers files I typed visudo sudoers. But it said visudo command not found. After googling I found that we need to set path in etc/profile. I edited that and put the following command ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check crontab edited date and time?

How to check when was the last time the crontab was updated and also what was the modification done ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving file edited whith sed

HI! I have a file that looks like this: >ANKRD30_2kb AAGTAACCAATGCAGGAAACCGAGAGGAGAGGTTTGGAAGGTGGTTTAGTGAGGTAATCCATCTTTTCT AGTGATAAACTGGCACCCAGTCAATTTATTCATCAGAAGGGAATACATCAGCCTGGCGTGGTGGCTCGC CCCCGACCCTGTCAGCGTCACCAGCAGCGCGGATCCATGGGCCAGAAGCCTCTAGGGCGCCTAAGTCAG Number of residues in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesa1230
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file name that was recently edited when listed using ls command?

I was trying to write a script that will process recently creatd file. From below, the script should process input_20111230.dat file. sam:/top/work/data/input: ls -ltr input_*.dat -rw-rw-rw- 1 work edprod 455668 Dec 24 09:16 input_20111224.dat -rw-r--r-- 1 work edprod ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
7 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Notepad++ hang when open file edited in other text editor

Hi, I would like to ask about the notepad++ text editor application, Although there are alternative and more great text editor in linux (gedit, geany, jedit) im still using the notepad++ sometimes cause for some of my own reason one of those is the minimalist text(what i mean is notepad++ has a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Fillable PDF becomes unreadable after edited with Okular

Can anyone explain why a editable pdf becomes unreadable after edited with okular? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
edit-pr(1)						       GNATS User Utilities							edit-pr(1)

NAME
edit-pr - edit a problem report in the GNATS database SYNOPSIS
edit-pr [ -h | --help ] [ -V | --version ] [ -d databasename | --database=databasename ] [ -H host | --host=host ] [ -P port | --port=port ] [ -v user | --user=user ] [ -w password | --passwd=password ] PR DESCRIPTION
edit-pr is used to make changes to existing PRs in a GNATS database. edit-pr first examines the PR and locks it if it is not already locked. This is to prevent a PR from being edited by two users simultane- ously. If the PR is already in the process of being edited, edit-pr displays the name of the person who owns the lock. edit-pr then calls $EDITOR on PR. After the PR has been edited, it is resubmitted to the database, and the index is updated. If you change a field that requires a reason for the change, edit-pr prompts you to supply a reason for the change. A message is then ap- pended to the Audit-Trail field of PR with the changed values and the change reason. Depending on how the database is configured, editing various fields in the PR may also cause mail to be sent concerning these changes. In the default configuration, any fields that generate Audit-Trail entries will cause a copy of the new Audit-Trail message to be sent. OPTIONS
-h, --help Prints a brief usage message for edit-pr. -V, --version Prints the version number for edit-pr. -d, --database Specifies the database containing the PR to be edited; if no database is specified, the database named default is assumed. This option overrides the database specified in the GNATSDB environment variable. GNATS network options: -H, --host Hostname of the GNATS server. -P, --port The port that the GNATS server runs on. -v, --username Username used to log into the GNATS server. -w, --passwd Password used to log into the GNATS server. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The environment variable EDITOR specifies the editor to invoke on the PR. Default is vi(1). The GNATSDB environment variable is used to determine which database to use. For a local database, it contains the name of the database to access. For network access via gnatsd, it contains a colon-separated list of strings that describe the remote database, in the form server:port:databasename:username:password Any of the fields may be omitted, but at least one colon must appear; otherwise, the value is assumed to be the name of a local database. If GNATSDB is not set, it is assumed that the database is local and that its name is default. FILES
/tmp/ep$$ Temporary file for PR being edited. /tmp/ed_pr_ch$$ Holds Audit-Trail change message, if needed. /tmp/u$$ Holds output of lock function. SEE ALSO
Keeping Track: Managing Messages With GNATS (also installed as the GNU Info file gnats.info) databases(5), dbconfig(5), delete-pr(8), edit-pr(1) file-pr(8), gen-index(8), gnats(7), gnatsd(8), mkcat(8), mkdb(8), pr-edit(8), query- pr(1), queue-pr(8), send-pr(1). COPYING
Copyright (c) 1993, 2003, Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be included in translations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in the original English. GNATS
August 2003 edit-pr(1)