Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: User Account Sync
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat User Account Sync Post 302538405 by search4u2003 on Wednesday 13th of July 2011 12:05:43 AM
Old 07-13-2011
But wht abt the local account on the other machine once the primary node goes down it promotes the secondary node as the primary but wht if the accounts are not thr in /etc/passwd or /etc/groups or /etc/shadow file it wont authenticate the users.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

TODO: Sync User Tables Between Databases

Need to eventually sync the MY.UNIX userdata to the forums database (and others). Suggestions on the best approach welcome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creatin user account

hi all, i m tryin to create a new account on the unix work station. do i use 'useradd' command? can u guyz advice on the usage of 'useradd' command as it can comes with 'useradd -D' or 'useradd -e' thanks :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: damian
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

user account

hi how to disable the useraccount in aix (should not remove). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chomca
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sync and preserve user login

I am neither advanced nor expert. I have synced two linux machines, from Debian to Fedora. I brought whole "home" directory. Which directory or files should bring to Fedora in order to have same user login and password? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can distingiush user account

example root::0:3::/:/sbin/sh daemon:*:1:5::/:/sbin/sh bin:*:2:2::/usr/bin:/sbin/sh sys:*:3:3::/: adm:*:4:4::/var/adm:/sbin/sh uucp:*:5:3::/var/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lbin/uucp/uucico lp:*:9:7::/var/spool/lp:/sbin/sh nuucp:*:11:11::/var/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lbin/uucp/uucico... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Please help identify these user account

Please help me identify these user accounts.. bin, lp, nuucp, smbnull, mysql, tftp Can we remove these user or disable these users?We have to apply the security policy about the user identification.Since it was settup by our vendor long time ago. We do not have these informations about these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdstkg
3 Replies

8. Fedora

The user 'sync' and 'shutdown'

there are 'sync' and 'shutdown' users in my /etc/passwd. ... sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync shutdown:x:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown ... What does these mean? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
10 Replies

9. HP-UX

User account

I need to check actual date a user was disabled on my HP-UX server. Audit is claiming the user account was active during the last audit exercise. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyriac_N
7 Replies
PASSWD(5)							   File formats 							 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - password file DESCRIPTION
Passwd is a text file, that contains a list of the system's accounts, giving for each account some useful information like user ID, group ID, home directory, shell, etc. Often, it also contains the encrypted passwords for each account. It should have general read permission (many utilities, like ls(1) use it to map user IDs to user names), but write access only for the superuser. In the good old days there was no great problem with this general read permission. Everybody could read the encrypted passwords, but the hardware was too slow to crack a well-chosen password, and moreover, the basic assumption used to be that of a friendly user-community. These days many people run some version of the shadow password suite, where /etc/passwd has *'s instead of encrypted passwords, and the encrypted passwords are in /etc/shadow which is readable by the superuser only. Regardless of whether shadow passwords are used, many sysadmins use a star in the encrypted password field to make sure that this user can not authenticate him- or herself using a password. (But see the Notes below.) If you create a new login, first put a star in the password field, then use passwd(1) to set it. There is one entry per line, and each line has the format: account:password:UID:GID:GECOS:directory:shell The field descriptions are: account the name of the user on the system. It should not contain capital letters. password the encrypted user password or a star. UID the numerical user ID. GID the numerical primary group ID for this user. GECOS This field is optional and only used for informational purposes. Usually, it contains the full user name. GECOS means General Electric Comprehensive Operating System, which has been renamed to GCOS when GE's large systems division was sold to Honeywell. Dennis Ritchie has reported: "Sometimes we sent printer output or batch jobs to the GCOS machine. The gcos field in the password file was a place to stash the information for the $IDENTcard. Not elegant." directory the user's $HOME directory. shell the program to run at login (if empty, use /bin/sh). If set to a non-existing executable, the user will be unable to login through login(1). NOTE
If you want to create user groups, their GIDs must be equal and there must be an entry in /etc/group, or no group will exist. If the encrypted password is set to a star, the user will be unable to login using login(1), but may still login using rlogin(1), run existing processes and initiate new ones through rsh(1), cron(1), at(1), or mail filters, etc. Trying to lock an account by simply chang- ing the shell field yields the same result and additionally allows the use of su(1). FILES
/etc/passwd SEE ALSO
passwd(1), login(1), su(1), group(5), shadow(5) 1998-01-05 PASSWD(5)