Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: df vs du for directory sizes
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users df vs du for directory sizes Post 302538385 by mock on Tuesday 12th of July 2011 09:22:28 PM
Old 07-12-2011
df reports file system disk space usage. Thus, given an argument, FILE, it will report the disk space usage of the filesystem containing FILE. Note that it is not reporting the disk space usage of the directory represented by FILE.

du on the other hand, given an argument FILE, reports the disk space usage of the directory represented by FILE. Presumably, it performs a recursive directory traversal of FILE adding the reported size of each file until the traversal is complete. In contrast with df, du may potentially report cumulative file sizes from files on multiple filesystems.

But, to answer your question more directly--it is best to use du. In many cases (depending on the number of files in the directory represented by FILE), du will take many times longer to execute than df due to the aforementioned directory traversal so expect to wait a little.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory sizes

Can someone tell me how to read these damn sizes. i mean, i prefer to see sizes in MB but that is not the case when you do an ls -l on directories. i have a had time converting these to MB just for verification purposes, what would a directory size like this = 3499990308 represent in MB or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on adding file sizes

Hi I need to take a list of files that are defined by an ls -ltr or grep for particular file names - and add up the byte size colum which is field 5 seperated by a space. I tried to do this but I think I am way off: for file in 'ls -ltr | grep 20070916 | nawk -F" " '{temp+=5} END {print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for checking and reporting file sizes in a directory.

Hi, Need help for a Script for checking and reporting database file sizes in a directory. Request you to please give your valuable inputs. Thanks a lot in advance. Best Regards, Marconi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare total directory structure and get sizes of all f on two different servers

Hello every one, Iam newbie to this forum and shell programming &scripting. i needed to compare each and every folder of two separate servers. Actually I have copied some directory structure from one server to second server, to build on second server the files all should be copied... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory sizes loop optimization

I have the following script: #!/usr/bin/ksh export MDIR=/datafiles NAME=$1 SERVER=$2 DIRECTORY=$3 DATABASE=$4 ID=$5 export dirlist=`/usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER find $DIRECTORY -type d -print` for dir in $dirlist do SIZE=`</dev/null /usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER du -ks $dir` echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: la_womn
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directories sizes

Hello everyone, can anybody help me in finding a way to obtain a list of all the directories and their sizes. I would like to be able to run this and obtain an output like a tree structure with each branch saying how much space it is taking up . Hope you can point me in the right direction.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file sizes

I have 2 big files in the size of gb. They are same with respect to content, both are “,” delimited. Now both of them are created by two different processes but has the same logic. The problem is they are differing only in few bytes for e.g one file is 202195751 bytes other is 202195773. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file sizes.

Hi everyone! I need to compare two file sizes. One of them (size) will be stored in a flat file and the other coming from a listed file. I can now get the first file size using: SIZE=`ls -l $DOCTYPE | awk '{print $5}'` 1. How can I store this value in a flat file? 2. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files names and sizes in a directory and output result to the file?

Hi , I'm trying to list the files and output is written to a file. But when I execute the command , the output file is being listed. How to exclude it ? /tmp file1.txt file2.txt ls -ltr |grep -v '-' | awk print {$9, $5} > output.txt cat output.txt file1.txt file2.txt output.txt (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Partition Sizes

Good Morning, What's a good way to get partition/slice sizes down to the byte on Solaris 9? I've tried a few ways, but only see results like 8.21GB which rounds the number. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
5 Replies
PAGESIZES(5)							File Formats Manual						      PAGESIZES(5)

NAME
pagesizes - HylaFAX page size definitions DESCRIPTION
The pagesizes database defines the page dimensions and guaranteed reproducible areas (GRA) for well-known page sizes. The GRA is the por- tion of the page that is guaranteed to be imaged during facsimile transmission. This region is typically less than the full page dimen- sions because of paper roller contacts and other mechanical aspects of the printing process in a facsimile machine. All HylaFAX programs that require page size information read the information from this database using a page size name. Documents should be prepared such that the full page dimensions are employed with the imaged area contained within the GRA. The system-wide default page size to use in preparing documents for transmission is given by the ``default'' entry in the database. (NB: the default entry should be placed last so that inverse matches find the real page size name and not the default entry.) The page size database is an ASCII file with the following format. Each entry consists of whitespace-separated fields: name abbrev width height gra-width gra-height top-margin left-margin Fields have the following interpretation: name the full name for the page size; e.g. ISO A4; abbrev an abbreviated version of the full name for use in compact listings such as the receive queue listing printed by faxstat(1); width the full width of the page; height the full height of the page; gra-width the width of the GRA; gra-height the height of the GRA; top-margin the margin between the top of the full page and the top of the GRA; left-margin the margin between the left side of the full page the left side of the GRA. The first two fields must be separated from the subsequent fields by a tab character (possibly followed by more whitespace); this is done to easily permit blank characters to be included in names. Otherwise fields can be separated by any amount of any kind of whitespace. Numbers are all base 10 and in basic measurement units (BMU); defined as 1/1200 x 25.4 millimeters for paper output with a scale factor of one. All fields must be present on a single line; otherwise the entry is ignored. Comments are introduced by the ``#'' character and con- tinue to the end the line. Page size database lookups are either by name or by page dimensions. Lookups by name are done by sequentially scanning the entries in the database for the first entry that has a matching abbreviation or substring of the page size name field. The string comparisons ignore case so, for example, ``a4'' would match a full name of ``ISO A4''. Lookups by dimension scan the entire database and return the page with the closest dimensions using a straightforward distance metric. If the difference in dimensions of the closest match is greater than 1/2 inch on each side, then no page entry is returned for a lookup by dimension. SEE ALSO
hylafax-client(1), faxmail(1), faxstat(1), sendfax(1), sgi2fax(1), textfmt(1). December 5, 1994 PAGESIZES(5)