Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/null a file using xargs
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /dev/null a file using xargs Post 302537969 by Deehem on Monday 11th of July 2011 09:14:54 AM
Old 07-11-2011
It seems to have worked previously from what I've seen when running the command manually, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work now.

Any suggestions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file / /dev/null

First of all, hello there cOmMuNity ! :cool: Well, I've got two basic questions: 1) In how many ways it's possible to create a file ? I know one manner using "touch", other typing something like echo "" > file ... The fact is that I need to overwrite the file if it exists, and touch... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Q1 :/dev/null Q2 -A

Hi, Q1-What does nroff -ms > /dev/null Q2- What does mean -A under STAT column : ps aux |head -20 UTIL PID %CPU %MEM SZ RSS TTY STAT STIME TIME COMMAND root 516 93,0 0,0 12 12 - A 04 nov 3906:51 wait Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. Solaris

URGENT - setup port and dump all output to /dev/null or a file

Please help urgently. I need to setup up some sort of service on a solaris server on a port. I dont need it do anything special, anything that is sent to this port from an external server should be dump to /dev/null or a flat file.. Can you help urgently? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/NULL can't open this file ??

when i write the following two statements : cp /dev/NULL /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp cat /dev/NULL > /clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/dspmq_temp its gives me errors like : cp: /dev/NULL: A file or directory in the path name does not exist. cat : /dev/NULL can't open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

5. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/null 2>&1 Versus /dev/null 2>1

How are these two different? They both prevent output and error from being displayed. I don't see the use of the "&" echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>&1 echo "hello" > /dev/null 2>1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

8. AIX

/dev/null file issue

Hi Experts, I Have a query. In one of my server I just came to know that there was /dev/null file which is a not a character file. Its just a normal file. I know the command to create the character file (/dev/null) but what is the procedure. Like should i delete /dev/null and create or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadeava
7 Replies

9. AIX

Size of file /dev/./null 2>&1

Hello Can I just remove/delete flile ? rw-r--r-- 1 root system 2385088512 Jun 30 21:25 /dev/null 2>&1 size of this flile is 2274.75 m and fill up my filesystem: Filesystem MB blocks Used Free %Used Mounted on /dev/hd4 2560.00 2558.59 1.41 100% / (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2>/dev/null

Friends have the following problem a search may not find anything which would correct example: ls -ltr *prueba.txt | nawk '{ print $9 }' > Procesar.dat 2>/dev/null When he finds nothing gives me the following error ls: prueba.txt: No such file or directory because 2> / dev / null... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
4 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)