Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to view Ramdisk Initialization Process Post 302537956 by pludi on Monday 11th of July 2011 07:30:08 AM
Old 07-11-2011
You can view messages from the kernel using dmesg. These may or may not contain information about initrd. But basically there's not much happening: the kernel reads the file provided at the command line, unpacks it, and runs the init binary contained within.

The only way I can think of to get more information would be to attach to a kernel debugger interface, if present.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix ramdisk?

This may be a stupid question but I've noticed that there is quite a bit out there currently for a ramdisk on that Redmond company's OS. Is there a ramdisk made for Unix and if not, why? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to view my own process in a multiuser envrionment

Hi , I am new to unix , tell me how can I check which all are the processes which were started by me or under my account , its a multiuser enviornment , I tried with ps -f , but it does not give me the complete answer , it gives me which shells I hv opened like tht , I want the processes like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishsid3
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create a ramdisk

Hi all, I wanted to make a ramdisk for a opensolaris distro. I have very little idea of how to create it? can anyone pls help me out? Is there any tutorial on creating it on the net??? Also can i make changes to the actual os itself by changing the scripts involved in ramdisk then use it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

view others process

Hello, I hope this is an easy question. I have a few users who login through SSH and some times their bash session is using 100% cpu even though its been "idle" according to who for several days. I would like to know what command the user ran in their bash session to peg the cpu out but am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: taheri6
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ramdisk already defined

I am trying to mount the ramdisk for sorting, and i get the message "ramdisk already defined." What exactly is /dev/ramdisk0 and is it safe to remove it? # command sudo -S mktd 60 <<EOF initiate EOF # block of code for mktd ... && { print "ramdisk already defined." ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

View process history

Hi, Is there any way to view process history. Suppose I had killed a few procs yesterday and now I want to see what were the procs that were running yesterday? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting in ramdisk

Hi, I have sort command that sorts in ramdisk created by a script 'mktd' and later unmounted by script 'rmtd'. The platform is AIX. # code sudo -E mktd 44 # create ramdisk of size 44GB sort ... -k1,1 -2,2 ... # sort a file using the ramdisk on keys 1 and 2 sudo -E rmtd # unmount... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View User Mode Call Stack of Hung Process

I have a multithreaded usermode program(actually a daemon) which is in hanged state. To debug it I tried attaching the process to gdb, but the gdb hangs. gstack also gets hanged. I peeped into the proc file system and saw the process to be in sleeping state. /proc/sysrq-trigger I guess... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Moving from Desktop View to Mobile View

See attached video for a demo on how to move back and forth from the desktop view to the mobile view. Currently this only works for the home page, but I will work on some new PHP code in the future to make this work with the page we are currently on. Edit: The issue with making every page ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
MKDUMPRD(8)							   User Manuals 						       MKDUMPRD(8)

NAME
mkdumprd - (Re)build the initramfs for kdump SYNOPSIS
mkdumprd [-h] [-q] [-f] [-k kernelver] [-i opts] DESCRIPTION
mkdumprd (re-)builds the kdump initrd. For kdump, a special initrd is used because o the kdump initrd should include network modules and network configuration (and therefore is larger as the normal initrd used for booting), o the kdump initrd should use no splash screen, o the kdump initrd includes kdumptool(8) and all required libraries. This script calls mkinitrd(8) with all required parameters. If the initrd already exists, it checks first if the configuration file or the kernel are newer, and only rebuilds the initrd if necessary. OPTIONS
All option parsing is done via the getopt(3) function, and therefore follows all standard command line parsing rules. -h | --help Shows help output and exits. -k kernelversion Specifies the kernel version. If no version is specified and also no kernel or initrd are specified, then mkdumprd uses kdumptool(8) to find out the correct kernel and initrd. -K kernel Specifies the kernel binary. If you specify that option, also specify -I. -I initrd Specifies the resulting initrd. If you specify that option, also specify -K. -q Be quiet. Don't output status messages. Used to call mkdumprd(8) from /etc/init.d/kdump init script. -i parameters Append the specified parameters to mkinitrd(8) call. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/kdump Kdump configuration. See kdump(5). BUGS
Please report bugs and enhancement requests at https://bugzilla.novell.com. COPYING
Copyright (c) 2008 Bernhard Walle <bwalle@suse.de>. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2 or later. SEE ALSO
kdumptool(8), mkinitrd(8), http://en.opensuse.org/Kdump kdump 0.8.1 07/05/2010 MKDUMPRD(8)