Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Erase line of text file one by one Post 302537810 by Franklin52 on Sunday 10th of July 2011 01:36:24 PM
Old 07-10-2011
Try something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

FILE=input.txt
OUTFILE=output.txt

PATTERN=e

nawk '$0 ~ p {
  printf("Delete this line [%s]? ", $0)
  getline ans < "-"
  if (tolower(ans) == "y") { 
    next
  }
}
1' p=$PATTERN $FILE > $OUTFILE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erase file

I have a file that always generated in the system eg. /tmp/log.txt , it is generated by the application program , but this file should not be present in the system otherwise there are some program problem , I want to erase this file once the program has generate it , as I know , it can link to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to erase files with line number less than 100

I am trying to delete all the files with line number less than 100 in a directory. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sean2008
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text from a file and print text and one previous line too

Hi, Please let me know how to find text and print text and its previous line. Please don't get irritated few days back I asked text and next line. I am using HP-UX 11.11 Thanks for your help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Erase a line is a row is empty?

Hi! i've been reading you guys for some time, now there is something I couldn't find here, I'm trying to purge some data for my thesis but my measurements have some gaps in the third columns. The solution is simple, -Erase those lines where the third column is empty ¿How? example... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AriasFco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to erase junk Chars coming in only the first line

I have a file containing few thousands of lines. when I do cat on it , i find it having two special Chars at the start of first line alone as shown down here. ÿþHDR|20111024|01 If i delete this line and do a cat on file , the current first line is shown to have the same special Chars. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: subramanian2008
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies
FMT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    FMT(1)

NAME
fmt -- simple text formatter SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cmnps] [-d chars] [-l num] [-t num] [goal [maximum] | -width | -w width] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The fmt utility is a simple text formatter which reads the concatenation of input files (or standard input if none are given) and produces on standard output a version of its input with lines as close to the goal length as possible without exceeding the maximum. The goal length defaults to 65 and the maximum to 10 more than the goal length. Alternatively, a single width parameter can be specified either by prepend- ing a hyphen to it or by using -w. For example, ``fmt -w 72'', ``fmt -72'', and ``fmt 72 72'' all produce identical output. The spacing at the beginning of the input lines is preserved in the output, as are blank lines and interword spacing. Lines are joined or split only at white space; that is, words are never joined or hyphenated. The options are as follows: -c Center the text, line by line. In this case, most of the other options are ignored; no splitting or joining of lines is done. -m Try to format mail header lines contained in the input sensibly. -n Format lines beginning with a '.' (dot) character. Normally, fmt does not fill these lines, for compatibility with nroff(1). -p Allow indented paragraphs. Without the -p flag, any change in the amount of whitespace at the start of a line results in a new para- graph being begun. -s Collapse whitespace inside lines, so that multiple whitespace characters are turned into a single space. (Or, at the end of a sen- tence, a double space.) -d chars Treat the chars (and no others) as sentence-ending characters. By default the sentence-ending characters are full stop ('.'), ques- tion mark ('?') and exclamation mark ('!'). Remember that some characters may need to be escaped to protect them from your shell. -l number Replace multiple spaces with tabs at the start of each output line, if possible. Each number spaces will be replaced with one tab. The default is 8. If number is 0, spaces are preserved. -t number Assume that the input files' tabs assume number spaces per tab stop. The default is 8. The fmt utility is meant to format mail messages prior to sending, but may also be useful for other simple tasks. For instance, within vis- ual mode of the ex(1) editor (e.g., vi(1)) the command !}fmt will reformat a paragraph, evening the lines. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of fmt as described in environ(7). SEE ALSO
fold(1), mail(1), nroff(1) HISTORY
The fmt command appeared in 3BSD. The version described herein is a complete rewrite and appeared in FreeBSD 4.4. AUTHORS
Kurt Shoens Liz Allen (added goal length concept) Gareth McCaughan BUGS
The program was designed to be simple and fast - for more complex operations, the standard text processors are likely to be more appropriate. When the first line of an indented paragraph is very long (more than about twice the goal length), the indentation in the output can be wrong. The fmt utility is not infallible in guessing what lines are mail headers and what lines are not. BSD
August 2, 2004 BSD