Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Magic numbers string/B problem Post 302537530 by segmentation on Friday 8th of July 2011 12:29:12 PM
Old 07-08-2011
I am trying to implement a program in erlang which detects file types.I am using unix's database magic.mime and its syntax.My system is ubuntu.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Backup Problem (bad Sblock Magic Number)

Hi guys, First I have to say that I'm not Unix expert, I just have medium level experince in Unix scripting and some knowledge with a little of hands on experience of unix administration (Solaris only). I have my plans to move ahead in that field but this is a different story. I have a client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolarisProToBe
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i get numbers from a string?

Hi... I'm new here and i have a Q... How do i get only the number from a string? like from "rlvol11" i want to get 11 or from "lvol4" i want to get 4 what commands should i use at my script? thanx 4 the help! Eliraz. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Floating Numbers in String

Dear Unix Gurus, I have a list of files that I want to loop over....for example: sl40_z11.70.txt sl41_z11.40.txt sl42_z11.10.txt sl43_z10.80.txt using the script #!/bin/sh # echo -n "....enter first Z-coordinate position....."; read zpos q="scale=3; $zpos" p=0.3 #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get partial numbers from a string

Hi Everyone, I have: $val="QQ3_1899_CD4". The output will be: 1899. I did $val =~ /(\d+)/g; the output is 318994, then i use substr to get those 1899. This is not efficient. Is any simple way, like just one line can do? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris magic number problem

Hello, When I boot up my ancient SUNOS 5 system. it stops at the OK prompt and complains about a bad magic number. I have told that I need run fsck but I cannot seem to do so from the OK prompt. How can I get into a diagnostic mode so I can run fsck? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting numbers from a String

Hi all, I'm a new programmer to shell script... and I have no idea how to use substring. I want to extract the numbers from the following string and place it into a variable: "170 unique conformations found" The numbers can be more than three digits depending on the case. I just want to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ah7391
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Magic numbers '&' operator problem

Hello everyone, on the man page of "magic(5)" There is explanation "&, to specify that the value from the file must have set all of the bits that are set in the specified value" . My question is that what is the difference between '&' and equal operator '=' ? I tested it with file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: segmentation
6 Replies
fileutil::magic::mimetype(n)					  file utilities				      fileutil::magic::mimetype(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
fileutil::magic::mimetype - Procedures implementing mime-type recognition SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require fileutil::magic::mimetype ?1.0.2? ::fileutil::magic::mimetype filename _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command for the recognition of file types in pure Tcl. The output is standardized to mime-types. The core part of the recognizer was generated from a "magic(5)" file containing the checks to perform to recognize files, and associated mime-types. ::fileutil::magic::mimetype filename This command is similar to the command fileutil::fileType. The output of the command for the specified file is not a list of attributes describing the type of the file, but a list of standard mime-types the file may have. This list will be empty if the type of the file is not recognized. REFERENCES
[1] File(1) sources [ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/] This site contains the current sources for the file command, including the magic definitions used by it. The latter were used by us to generate this recognizer. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category fileutil :: magic of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
file(1), fileutil, magic(5) KEYWORDS
file recognition, file type, file utilities, mime, type fumagic 1.0.2 fileutil::magic::mimetype(n)