Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding the content of file in another one... Post 302537262 by bartus11 on Thursday 7th of July 2011 01:31:34 PM
Old 07-07-2011
Can you post the files that you are using now?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename into file content

Dear Experts, Please help to teach me how to add the filename into the file content. Actually the file name are EVENTS-20050912. ***************New output that I want*************** EVENTS-20050912 03:33:37 ALARM: BTSSPAN-277-1 30-18013 EVENTS-20050912 12:10:28 ALARM: BTSSPAN-297-2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: missutoomuch
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding the content of a file to another file

Hi everyone, I am trying to search for a pattern(in this case copyright) in file A and then add the content of file B under the pattern(copyright) found in file A i did the following set var=`cat ~/b` sed "/copyright/ a\${var}" ~/a this does it job partially because it does not keep the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding the content of a file to another file

hi guys, I posted a similar question about reading a file and adding its content to another file and i used sed '/HELLO/r fileB' fileA however this command adds the content of fileB under the word "HELLO" what if i need to add the word above "HELLO". what could i use? Thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding content of two file in a single file column wise

Hi, I am trying to get the file in particular pattern using shell script. I have to add one column to some other file. For example consider two file as below. File1: name1 name2 name3 File2: Add1 age1 Add2 age2 Add3 age3 I want this two file in a single file format something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Content to Variable (bash)

is this possible? its kind of like incrementing the value of a number in a variable. but in this case, instead of the value of the variable being a number, it's just contents/strings/characters/alpha-numeric etc. NOT a number. For instance: VAR=Tommy for all in $(blah blah) do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: replace content from file with the content from file

Hi, I am having trouble while using 'sed' with reading files. Please help. I have 3 files. File A, file B and file C. I want to find content of file B in file A and replace it by content in file C. Thanks a lot!! Here is a sample of my question. e.g. (file A: a.txt; file B: b.txt; file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove exisiting file content from a file and have to append new file content?

hi all, i had the below script x=`cat input.txt |wc -1` awk 'NR>1 && NR<'$x' ' input.txt > output.txt by using above script i am able to remove the head and tail part from the input file and able to append the output to the output.txt but if i run it for second time the output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Adding to an array in an external file, and adding elements to it.

I have an array in an external file, "array.txt", which contains: char *testarray={"Zero", "One", "Two", "Three", "Four", "Five", "Six", "Seven", "Eight", "Nine"};I want to be able to add an element to this array, and have that element display, whenever I call it, without having to recompile... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
29 Replies
post(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   post(8)

NAME
post - deliver a message SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/post [options] file OPTIONS
Specifies a file that post should take aliases from. More than one file can be specified, each being preceded with the -alias option. The post program automatically consults the system alias file, /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases. If there is an Aliasfile entry in your post also con- sults the file named in that entry. Filters (re-formats) messages sent to blind copy recipients. Recipients named in the Bcc: field nor- mally receive a new message which includes a copy of the message sent to the other recipients. If this option is specified, this copy of the message is filtered according to the instructions in the named file. The default is -nofilter. Formats messages so as to conform to ARPAnet Internet Message Format protocol. This is the default behavior. You can post from formatting messages in this way by using the -noformat option. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Adds a Message-ID: or Resent-Message-ID: field to the header. Specifies the mail system over which mail is sent. The only value allowed is smtp, which is the standard mail system. Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems. Informs the user of each step of the posting/filing process. Allows the user to watch the transport system's handling of the message (for example, local and fast delivery). Specifies the preferred length of the header compo- nents that contain addresses. The default settings for post are: -alias /usr/lib/mh/MailAliases -format -nomsgid -mts smtp -noverbose -nowatch -width 72 -nofilter DESCRIPTION
The program post is called by send(1) to deliver the message in the named file to local and remote users. In fact, all of the functions at- tributed to send on its reference page are performed by post, with send acting as a relatively simple pre-processor. Thus, it is post which parses the various header fields, appends From: and Date: lines, and interacts with the transport system. Normally, post would not be called directly by the user. It searches the To:, cc:, Bcc:, and Resent-xxx: header lines of the specified message for destination addresses, checks these addresses for validity, and formats them so as to conform to ARPAnet Internet Message Format protocol (unless the -noformat option is set). This will normally cause @local-site to be appended to each local destination address, as well as any local return addresses. If a Bcc: field is encountered, the mail system will use its addresses for delivery. The Bcc: is removed from the message sent to original recipients. The copied recipients will receive an entirely new message with a minimal set of headers. The mail system includes a copy of the message sent to the original recipients in the body of the message. This command consults the environment variable $SIGNATURE to determine the sender's personal name in constructing the From: line of the message. RESTRICTIONS
For this version, the -mts option only supports the value smtp. Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems. PROFILE COMPONENTS
The post command does not consult the user's FILES
The system customization file. The program to process Fcc:s. The program to process Bcc:s. The system alias file. SEE ALSO
Commands: comp(1), mhmail(1), send(1) Files: mh-alias(4), mh-mail(4), mtstailor(4) Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) post(8)