Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Processes and exit status
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Processes and exit status Post 302537195 by messi777 on Thursday 7th of July 2011 10:57:12 AM
Old 07-07-2011
Ok, I got it up to this point. it means that even exit 89 will tell me 89. but why do we need to do this? how is it related to the fork processes? I got this exercise while I'm doing the exercises in shell POSIX tutorial in child/parent part.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftp exit status.

Does ftp from unix have an exit status. In the sense after ftp is invoked and if the ftp fails during file transfer does it exit out with a status other than 0. What is do right now is invoke ftp and right it to a log and then grep for 'File Transferred Sucessfully'. Is this the only way to do it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oracle8
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status

i downloaded a text file from metalab.unc.edu called sh.txt and in this reference manual it refers to shell scripting exit status .. at the end of one of the examples that author gave an exit status of 127.. to what does a 127 exit status refer too and what is its purpose in the code. moxxx68 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieving exit status from background processes

Hi, I need to retrieve the exit status of 4 moves running as background processes. The wait command will not work since it can only give me the exit status of the last of the background processes. Here's a sample of what I need !#/bin/ksh mv /dir1/subdir1/*.Z /dir6/subdir6/ & mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MG537
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit status conditions

Hi all, i am writing a script to test if some servers are down and prompt if test positive. i used rlogin and rsh then exit but the script when run, logs into the servers and stays. pls what can i do to salvage this? or what other options do you suggest? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdcoms
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit status

Hi all, I'm running a program which return 1 upon success. But when encounters problem shell return 's '1' . How to differentiate between them the shell return value and script return value. Ex. function fn return '1' if executed successfully and '0' if failed. But when if shell encounters... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yhacks
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit status

I'm preparing for exam and one of exams is to write own test command... I wonder if in unix is a command which just returns exit code you specify.. I know I can easily write a function like this: exStatus() { return $1 } -> my question is rather theoretical thank you! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple processes without waiting for their exit status.

Hello Friends, Hope you are doing well. I just need a help in executing multiple processes. I've written a shell script which calls another scritps. But the problem is there are too many processes to run, and each process takes about a min to finish its execution. So, I want to just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: singh.chandan18
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status

I have a shell script (#!/bin/sh) that interacts with Appworx and Banner Admin. In my script I want to check the exit status of awrun before continuing. awrun can run for 10 seconds or it can run for over a minute. So my question is, will it go through my if statement before awrun may even be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status from the script is always 0

Hi , I have a bash script , which does the network configuration. Messages from this script are dumped on console as well as stored in a log file . This script is invoked from a C code using system call . The script returns different exit code , to indicate different error cases. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhirai
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to get the exit status

Hi All, I am trying to create a zip file with all the txt files(these are in large number) in the current directory. I am able to do this operation sucessfully. After this i want to get the status of the tar command executed and do accordingly. When i am trying with the below code, the status... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paddu
3 Replies
FORK(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork -- create a new process SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void); DESCRIPTION
fork() causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process (parent process) except for the following: o The child process has a unique process ID. o The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). o The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. o The child processes resource utilizations are set to 0; see setrlimit(2). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, fork() returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fork() will fail and no child process will be created if: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. This limit is configuration- dependent. [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit MAXUPRC (<sys/param.h>) on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded. [ENOMEM] There is insufficient swap space for the new process. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. SEE ALSO
execve(2), sigaction(2), wait(2), compat(5) HISTORY
A fork() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. CAVEATS
There are limits to what you can do in the child process. To be totally safe you should restrict yourself to only executing async-signal safe operations until such time as one of the exec functions is called. All APIs, including global data symbols, in any framework or library should be assumed to be unsafe after a fork() unless explicitly documented to be safe or async-signal safe. If you need to use these frame- works in the child process, you must exec. In this situation it is reasonable to exec yourself. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution