Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help to move leading negative sign to trailing position Post 302537158 by ltomuno on Thursday 7th of July 2011 08:35:50 AM
Old 07-07-2011
Code:
awk '{print $0<0?-$0"-":$0}' inputfile

Last edited by Franklin52; 07-08-2011 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you
This User Gave Thanks to ltomuno For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leading and Trailing Spaces

Hi, how to i remove leading and trailing spaces from a line? the spaces can be behind or in front of any field or line example of a line in the input data: Amy Reds , 100 , /bin/sh how to i get it to be: Amy Read,100,/bin/sh i saw something on this on the Man pages for AWK... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepster
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing leading and trailing spaces of data between the tags in xml.

I am having xml document as below. <transactionid> 00 </transactionid> <tracknumber> 0 </tracknumber> <key> N/A </key> But the data contains leading and trailing spaces between the tags. Please let me know how can i remove these leading and trailing spaces between the tags.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing and leading spaces using tr command

Dear All, can you please advice how do i remove trailing and leading spaces from a pipe-delimited file using "tr" command the below cmd, i tried removed all spaces tr -d ' '<s1.txt>s2.txt1 Many thx Suresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing leading and trailing spaces only in PERL

Hi All, I have a file with the following contents with multiple lines 172445957| 000005911|8| 400 Peninsula Ave.#1551 | And,K |935172445957|000005911 607573888 |000098536 | 2|Ane, B |J |Ane |1868 |19861206|20090106|20071001 I want to trim the "leading and trailing spaces only" from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar04
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the most positive and negative value and defining its position

Hi, I have a file that looks like this: Jake 2 3 4 6 4 3 -2 -1 Jerry 1 2 3 2 1 7 -6 -1 Timmy -1 -4 -5 -8 9 3 1 I want to find the most positive and negative value for each row and also define its position (based on column #) So the output would look... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gisele_l
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearing leading and trailing blanks from a string in C Shell

Does anyone know of a way with C Shell that will work on both Linux and Sun to clear all leading and trailing blanks from a previously specified string? I am using the following code to replace blanks with underscores: set Company = `echo $Company | sed 's/ /_/g but I don't want any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phudgens
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a row, replace negative sign and find minimum value among four columns

Hi Friends, I have an input file like this chr1 100 200 1 2 3 4 chr1 150 200 4 5 6 7 chr2 300 400 9 6 7 1 chr2 300 410 -10 21 -11 13 chr3 700 900 -21 -22 130 165 Now, my output file is chr1 100 200 1 chr1 150 200 4 chr2 300 400 1 chr2 300 410 10 chr3 700 900 21 Remove... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the leading and trailing date from a CSV file

I'm a newbie to shell scripting. Can anyone help with the below requirement ? The leading and trailing date of a files to be removed. 2017-07-12_gmr_tag_log_20170711.csv 2017-07-12_gmr_call_log_20170711.csv 2017-07-12_gmr_outgoing_log_20170711.csv I'm looking for output like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamayam
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove leading and trailing spaces for variable in shell script?

Hi I have variable named tablename. The value to tablename variable has leading and trailing white spaces. How to remove the leading and training white spaces and write the value of the tablename without space to a file using shell script. ( for e.g. tablename= yyy ) INPUT ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
10 Replies
econvert(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      econvert(3C)

NAME
econvert, fconvert, gconvert, seconvert, sfconvert, sgconvert, qeconvert, qfconvert, qgconvert - output conversion SYNOPSIS
#include <floatingpoint.h> char *econvert(double value, int ndigit, int *decpt, int *sign, char *buf); char *fconvert(double value, int ndigit, int *decpt, int *sign, char *buf); char *gconvert(double value, int ndigit, int trailing, char *buf); char *seconvert(single *value, int ndigit, int *decpt, int *sign, char *buf); char *sfconvert(single *value, int ndigit, int *decpt, int *sign, char *buf); char *sgconvert(single *value, int ndigit, int trailing, char *buf); char *qeconvert(quadruple *value, int ndigit, int *decpt, int *sign, char *buf); char *qfconvert(quadruple *value, int ndigit, int *decpt, int *sign char *buf); char *qgconvert(quadruple *value, int ndigit, int trailing, char *buf); DESCRIPTION
The econvert() function converts the value to a null-terminated string of ndigit ASCII digits in buf and returns a pointer to buf. buf should contain at least ndigit+1 characters. The position of the decimal point relative to the beginning of the string is stored indirectly through decpt. Thus buf == "314" and *decpt == 1 corresponds to the numerical value 3.14, while buf == "314" and *decpt == -1 corresponds to the numerical value .0314. If the sign of the result is negative, the word pointed to by sign is nonzero; otherwise it is zero. The least significant digit is rounded. The fconvert() function works much like econvert(), except that the correct digit has been rounded as if for sprintf(%w.nf) output with n=ndigit digits to the right of the decimal point. ndigit can be negative to indicate rounding to the left of the decimal point. The return value is a pointer to buf. buf should contain at least 310+max(0,ndigit) characters to accomodate any double-precision value. The gconvert() function converts the value to a null-terminated ASCII string in buf and returns a pointer to buf. It produces ndigit sig- nificant digits in fixed-decimal format, like sprintf(%w.nf), if possible, and otherwise in floating-decimal format, like sprintf(%w.ne); in either case buf is ready for printing, with sign and exponent. The result corresponds to that obtained by (void) sprintf(buf,``%w.ng'',value) ; If trailing = 0, trailing zeros and a trailing point are suppressed, as in sprintf(%g). If trailing != 0, trailing zeros and a trailing point are retained, as in sprintf(%#g). The seconvert(), sfconvert(), and sgconvert() functions are single-precision versions of these functions, and are more efficient than the corresponding double-precision versions. A pointer rather than the value itself is passed to avoid C's usual conversion of single-precision arguments to double. The qeconvert(), qfconvert(), and qgconvert() functions are quadruple-precision versions of these functions. The qfconvert() function can overflow the decimal_record field ds if value is too large. In that case, buf[0] is set to zero. The ecvt(), fcvt() and gcvt() functions are versions of econvert(), fconvert(), and gconvert(), respectively, that are documented on the ecvt(3C) manual page. They constitute the default implementation of these functions and conform to the X/Open CAE Specification, System Interfaces and Headers, Issue 4, Version 2. USAGE
IEEE Infinities and NaNs are treated similarly by these functions. ``NaN'' is returned for NaN, and ``Inf'' or ``Infinity'' for Infinity. The longer form is produced when ndigit >= 8. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ecvt(3C),sprintf(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 3 May 1999 econvert(3C)