Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Extract text between two strings? Post 302536630 by emresearch on Wednesday 6th of July 2011 02:59:18 AM
Old 07-06-2011
How to Extract text between two strings?

Hi,

I want to extract some text between two strings in a line i am using following command i.e;
Code:
awk '/-string1/,/-string2/' filename

contents of file is---
Code:
line1
line2
aaa -bbb -ccc -string1 c,d,e -string2
line4

but it is showing complete line which is having searched strings.
Code:
aaa -bbb -ccc -string1 c,d,e -string2

I want only
Code:
c,d,e

so can any one help me to do this task?

Thanks
Manish

Last edited by Franklin52; 07-06-2011 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using AWK how to extract text between two same strings

I have a file like: myfile.txt it is easy to learn awk and begin awk scripting and awk has got many features awk is a powerful text processing tool Now i want to get the text between first awk and immediate awk not the third awk . How to get it ? its urgent pls help me and file is unevenly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to extract text between two constant strings

Hi, I have a file from which i need to extract data between two constant strings. The data looks like this : Line 1 SUN> read db @cmpd unit 60 Line 2 Parameter: CMPD -> "C00071" Line 3 Line 4 SUN> generate Line 5 tabint>ERROR: (Variable data) The data i need to extract is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract text between two strings exclusive

Hi, I'm trying to retrieve text between two strings excluding the two strings. So for example I have the following input: type=friend username=phone1 secret=password host=dynamic dtmfmode=rfc2833 mailbox=9664 context=sip insecure=very canreinvite=no nat=yes realm=192.168.1.122... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: the1armedcoder
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk/sed to extract text between Strings

Dear Unix Gurus, I've got a data file with a few hundred lines (see truncated sample)... BEGIN_SCAN1 TASK_NAME=LA48 PDD Profiles PROGRAM=ArrayScan 1.00 21.220E+00 2.00 21.280E+00 END_DATA END_SCAN1 BEGIN_SCAN2 TASK_NAME=LA48 PDD Profiles 194.00 2.1870E+00 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: How to extract text lines between two strings

Hi. I have a text test1.txt file like:Receipt Line1 Line2 Line3 End Receipt Line4 Line5 Line6 Canceled Receipt Line7 Line8 Line9 End (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: TQ3
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two strings

Hi I have something like this: EXAMPLE 1 CREATE UNIQUE INDEX "STRING_1"."STRING_2" ON "BOSNI_CAB_EVENTO" ("CD_EVENTO" , "CD_EJECUCION" ) PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 5242880 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1 BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT) TABLESPACE "DB1000_INDICES_512K"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrispaz81
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two strings

Hi, I have a text like these: ECHO "BEGGINING THE SHELL....." MV FILE1 > FILE2 UNIQ_ID=${1} PARTITION_1=`${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "SELECT ....." PARTITION_2=`${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "SELECT ........" ${PL}/Q${CON}.KSH "CREATE ...." IF .... ....... I would like to extract only text that only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue when using egrep to extract strings (too many strings)

Dear all, I have a data like below (n of rows=400,000) and I want to extract the rows with certain strings. I use code below. It works if there is not too many strings for example n of strings <5000. while I have 90,000 strings to extract. If I use the egrep code below, I will get error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need grep regex to extract multiline text between two strings

I have a file conatining the below: --- 10.9.16.116: /tmp/5835113081224811756.jar: hash: e6df90d38fa86f0e289f73d79cd2cfd2a29954eb /tmp/4603745991442278706.jar: hash: e6df90d38fa86f0e289f73d79cd2cfd2a29954eb 10.9.14.126: /tmp/conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf: hash:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
trbsd(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trbsd(1)

NAME
trbsd - Translates characters SYNOPSIS
trbsd [-Acs] string1 string2 trbsd -d [-Ac] string1 The trbsd command copies characters from the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. OPTIONS
Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When you specify this option, trbsd does not support extended characters. Complements (inverts) the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose codes are 001 through 377 octal if you specify -A, and all characters if you do not specify -A. Deletes all characters in string1 from output. Changes characters that are repeated output charac- ters in string2 into single characters. DESCRIPTION
Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. The trbsd command cannot handle an ASCII NUL (00) in string1 or string2; it always deletes NUL from the input. The tr command is a System V compatible version of trbsd. Abbreviations such as a-z, standing for a string of characters whose ASCII codes run from character a to character z, inclusive, can be used to introduce ranges of characters. Note that brackets are not special characters. Use the escape character (backslash) to remove the special meaning from any character in a string. Use the followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits for the code of a character. If a given character appears more than once in string1, the character in string2 corresponding to its last appearance in string1 will be used in the translation. EXAMPLES
To translate braces into parentheses, enter: trbsd '{}' '()' <textfile >newfile This translates each { (left brace) to a ( (left parenthesis) and each } (right brace) to a ) (right parenthesis). All other char- acters remain unchanged. To translate lowercase ASCII characters to uppercase, enter: trbsd a-z A-Z <textfile >newfile The two strings can be of different lengths: trbsd 0-9 # <textfile >newfile This translates each digit to a # (number sign); if string2 is too short, it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicating its last character. To translate each string of digits to a single # (number sign), enter: trbsd -s 0-9 # <textfile >newfile To trans- late all ASCII characters that are not specified, enter: trbsd -c ' -~' 'A-_' <textfile >newfile This translates each nonprinting ASCII character to the corresponding control key letter (01 translates to A, 02 to B, and so on). ASCII DEL (177), the character that follows ~ (tilde), translates to a ? (question mark). SEE ALSO
Commands: ed(1), sh(1), tr(1) Files: ascii(5) trbsd(1)