Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat running my own script during startup Post 302536531 by programAngel on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 04:26:37 PM
Old 07-05-2011
running my own script during startup

Hi, I am using scientific linux with is a red hat cloning.

I have written a script and I want it to be run during startup before the user log in.

How do I do that?

I know that there is some connection to the run level and the directory /etc/rc.d.

But I don't know how exactly to do it ?

So if someone can explain to me the issue with a little more details.

Lets assume that I have already a script and that it has execution permission, who do I make it run at startup before the user do login?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup script

New in Unix, I am adding a line "route add 57.14.y.y 57.14.x.x" every day after rebooting the system. Where can I add the line so during boot up (the system is re-started every day by design (???) the line is executed? (I tried the /etc/rc2.d/S90 but for some reason the line needs to be added... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: texaspanama
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a Cron Script only @ Startup Pls Help!!

Hi friends i have a script "backup.sh" which is stored in "/var/lib/pgsql" directory. I want it to run as a cron so that it executes every time the system starts. I tried the follwing method I logged in as the root user and typed "crontab -e" The file was completly blank so i put the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perk_bud
3 Replies

3. Solaris

stop solaris 8 sendmail from running on startup

sorry i got this already... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

4. AIX

running fsck on aix in startup

Hi, I would like to know in which file I can get the option of enabling/disabling of running fsck on particular file system. As I know in /etc/filesystems these parameter should be there just like in Linux /etc/fstab I have created file system aix test but unable to find the option of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

5. AIX

startup script

Hi I need the below script to be started whenever I reboot my aix server ? #cat cdbegin /cdirect/cdunix/ndm/bin/cdpmgr -i /cdirect/cdunix/ndm/cfg/cbspsdb01/initparm.cfg Please suggest how to add this to the startup ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl cisco copy running to startup

Hi all, i have a small simple perl that i cant make it work it is really stupid but i cant find solution and i needed fast. im trying to copy running to startup on a cisco router and show me the output like is ok Destination filename ? Building configuration... so the code i have is ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: IvanMP
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup script

I can't quite find a clear answer on how to properly write a start up script. Does anybody have any ideas?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script not running at startup

I am having check.sh script and check.service which I include to /etc/systemd/system/ chmod 744 /usr/local/bin/check.sh chmod 664 /etc/systemd/system/check.service systemctl daemon-reload systemctl enable check.servicecheck.sh: websockify 5555 localhost:7000 & date >... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
9 Replies
SAFE_ASTERISK(8)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						  SAFE_ASTERISK(8)

NAME
safe_asterisk -- A wrapper to run the asterisk executable in a loop SYNOPSIS
safe_asterisk [ asterisk_params ] DESCRIPTION
safe_asterisk is a script that runs asterisk in a loop, which can be useful if you fear asterisk may crash. The script does not run in the background like a standard service. Rather, it runs in its own linux virtual console (9, by default). It also uses the option '-c' of asterisk(8) to avoid detaching asterisk from that terminal. safe_asterisk also runs asterisk with unlimited core file size, and thus asterisk will dump core in case of a crash. To get a "picture" of console 9, from another terminal (e.g: from a remote shell session) you can use: screendump 9 The init script of the Debian package should be able to run safe_asterisk as the asterisk service, if so configured. See coments in /etc/default/asterisk FILES
/tmp safe_asterisk runs in that directory, rather than in / as usual. /tmp/core If core files were generated there, they may be /etc/asterisk/startup.d Files in this directory will be 'source'd by the safe_asterisk script before it starts Asterisk proper, allowing them to set addi- tional environment variables or run any other steps that are needed for your system. BUGS
While showing the output on a console is useful, using screen(1) as the terminal may be better. The script does not read configuration from standard location under /etc It uses fixed locations under /tmp , and thus may be exposed to a symlink attacks. SEE ALSO
asterisk(8), screendump(9) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com> Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. Asterisk Jun 30th, 2005 SAFE_ASTERISK(8)