Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command comparisons
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command comparisons Post 302535486 by avidrunner on Thursday 30th of June 2011 11:50:51 PM
Old 07-01-2011
Error Command comparisons

Hi guys,
Im trying to figure out what is the difference between using a | and the command xargs ... examples of usage:

1) ls * | wc -w => this gives you the number of files in the current directory including all subdirectories

2) find . “*.log” | xargs grep ERROR => this gives you all the occurrences of ERROR in all .log files in the current directory and all subdirectories

PLUS! what is the difference of the above commands to this one below and why should I use one instead of the other:

find . “*.log” -exec grep ERROR ‘{}' \;

Any help will be very much appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to automate file comparisons

Hi, I need a script that loops through all the files two directories passed to it via parameter, and if two files have the same name, do a cmp comparison on the files. If the files are different, output the specifics returned by cmp. What's the best way to go about writing this, as I am a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: herman404
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep do numerical comparisons?

Say for example I have a list of numbers.. 5 10 13 48 1 could I use grep to show only those numbers that are above 10? For various reasons I can only use grep... not awk or sed etc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uss_Defiant
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

numeric range comparisons

I have two files.And a sort of matrix analysis. Both files have a string followed by two numbers: File 1: A 2 7 B 3 11 C 5 10 ...... File 2: X 1 10 Y 3 5 Z 5 9 What I'd like to do is for each set of numbers in the second file indicate if the first or second number (or both) in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best practice for bracket comparisons?

So, I have no formal higher education in programming at all and am self taught. I am now wondering what would be considered best practices? Like should I hard code a variable, then compare it to what I want to know or achieve, or should I just put the commands with in the brackets? Example, a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparisons

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with this stings comparison? #!/bin/sh #set -xv set -u VAR=$(ping -c 5 -w 10 google.com | grep icmp_req=5 | awk '{print $6}') echo I like cookies echo $VAR if "$VAR" == 'icmp_req=5' then echo You Rock else echo You Stink fiThis is the error.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date comparisons

Hi, I want to perform a simple date comparisons, i.e. select all files modified after a certain date (say 12-feb-2011) I do not have the option of creating a file and using find's -newer option. Any simple way to do this? I can do this by reading the stat command's output and comparing... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File and if statement comparisons

I'd love to get help on this one please. Ok so say I have a file called README with lines such as this: index:index.html required:file1.1:file2.1:file3.1 I'm having trouble with writing an if statement that compares the items in a list with a file inside README, what I imagine in my head... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistsong1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pair wise comparisons

Hi, I have 25 groups and I need to perform all possible pairwise compariosns between them using the formula n(n-1)/2. SO in my case it will be 25(25-1)/2 which is equal to 300 comparisons. my 25 groups are FG1 FG2 FG3 FG4 FG5 NT5E CD44 CD44 CD44 AXL ADAM19 CCDC80 L1CAM L1CAM CD44... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparisons

Hi all, I want to compare two files based on column value Kindly help me a.txt 123,ABCD 456,DEF 789,SDF b.txt 123,KJI 456,LMN 321,MJK 678,KOL Output file should be like Common on both files c.txt 123,ABCD,KJI (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String regex comparisons

Here is the sample code: str1="abccccc" str2="abc?" if ]; then echo "same string" else echo "different string" fi Given that ? implies 0 or 1 match of preceding character, I was expecting the output to be "different string", but I am seeing "same string". Am I not using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rameshck
3 Replies
dpkg-name(1)							  dpkg utilities						      dpkg-name(1)

NAME
dpkg-name - rename Debian packages to full package names SYNOPSIS
dpkg-name [options] [--] files DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the dpkg-name program which provides an easy way to rename Debian packages into their full package names. A full package name consists of <package>_<version>_<architecture>.<package_type> as specified in the control file of the package. The <version> part of the filename consists of the upstream version information optionally followed by a hyphen and the revision information. The <pack- age_type> part comes from that field if present or fallbacks to deb. OPTIONS
-a, --no-architecture The destination filename will not have the architecture information. -k, --symlink Create a symlink, instead of moving. -o, --overwrite Existing files will be overwritten if they have the same name as the destination filename. -s, --subdir [dir] Files will be moved into a subdirectory. If the directory given as argument exists the files will be moved into that directory oth- erwise the name of the target directory is extracted from the section field in the control part of the package. The target directory will be `unstable/binary-<architecture>/<section>'. If the section is not found in the control, then `no-section' is assumed, and in this case, as well as for sections `non-free' and `contrib' the target directory is `<section>/binary-<architecture>'. The section field isn't required so a lot of packages will find their way to the `no-section' area. Use this option with care, it's messy. -c, --create-dir This option can used together with the -s option. If a target directory isn't found it will be created automatically. Use this option with care. -h, --help Show the usage message and exit. -v, --version Show the version and exit. EXAMPLES
dpkg-name bar-foo.deb The file `bar-foo.deb' will be renamed to bar-foo_1.0-2_i386.deb or something similar (depending on whatever information is in the control part of `bar-foo.deb'). find /root/debian/ -name '*.deb' | xargs -n 1 dpkg-name -a All files with the extension `deb' in the directory /root/debian and its subdirectory's will be renamed by dpkg-name if required into names with no architecture information. find -name '*.deb' | xargs -n 1 dpkg-name -a -o -s -c Don't do this. Your archive will be messed up completely because a lot of packages don't come with section information. Don't do this. dpkg --build debian-tmp && dpkg-name -o -s .. debian-tmp.deb This can be used when building new packages. BUGS
Some packages don't follow the name structure <package>_<version>_<architecture>.deb. Packages renamed by dpkg-name will follow this struc- ture. Generally this will have no impact on how packages are installed by dselect(1)/ dpkg(1), but other installation tools might depend on this naming structure. SEE ALSO
deb(5), deb-control(5), dpkg(1), dpkg-deb(1), find(1), xargs(1). AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1995,1996 Erick Branderhorst This is free software; see the GNU General Public Licence version 2 or later for copying conditions. There is NO WARRANTY. Debian Project 2008-08-18 dpkg-name(1)