Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Encrypt password but use * when typing password Post 302535320 by Scott on Thursday 30th of June 2011 11:45:34 AM
Old 06-30-2011
I've used \c in the past on AIX.

From man echo on AIX:

Code:
       \c
            Suppresses the new-line character that otherwise follows the final argument in the output. All characters following the \c sequence are ignored.

(of course now, I'd use printf!)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

hide password typing

I am doing a project in C program which requires to type in password in Unix terminal. Does anybody know how to shade or not output any words typed by user in the terminal? I use the function scan() to read typing from user. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

encrypt and decrypt password

how do i encrypt and decrypt a password (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanwish
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to encrypt oracle password table ?

Hi Oracle & Unix expert, Could you tell me how to encrypt oracle table ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olaris
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cronjob on a remote ssh without typing password

Hi there, How can I send a script to a remote ssh client. 1) I cannot connect through ftp 2) I just need to read a file on a remote server. Here is what I do: ~$ ssh santiago@myserver.com santiago@myserver.com's password: santiago@myserver:~$ cat logfile hello world bonjour le monde hola... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and save password

Hello all, I need to encrypt and save a password in a file and later decrypt to determine the original password string. Please suggest how can I use the linux commands or other approach to accomplish this. Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cheerful
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Encrypt password

Hello, I have a paramter file, In which I store all the user-ids and passwords for the project. So if a user just invokes the paramter file he has access to all the variables, which i have exported in the parmatere file. Now if a user echo's the variable which stores the databse password.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
1 Replies

7. AIX

SSH session closes after typing correct password

hi guys need some help. when ever i'm login ssh to aix server session always closed. when trying t0 type wrong password the session still continues, but we tried the correct password it automatically ends. what could be the problem to this please see .profile details ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bocha
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt DB password in Script

Hi, I have a SQL which i want to run through a shell script. query_result=`/home/oracle/product/11.2.0/bin/sqlplus -S uname/pwd@DBNAME <<! set heading off feedback off trimspool on set pagesize 0 set linesize 9999 spool $PARAM_PATH/param_name.txt; Select sysdate from dual; spool off;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt Plaintext Password?

How do I encrypt a plaintext password that I need hardcoded in a bash script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Encrypt and Decrypt a File with Password

Hello, I have few files on unix which are payroll related and I need them to encrypt with password so others wouldn't see the data. I use ETL tool and would like to know the unix command that does encryption/decryption to use in the ETL. Thank you, Sri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
3 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)