Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Crontab and interactive script Post 302534514 by Evan on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 05:19:02 AM
Old 06-28-2011
Crontab and interactive script

Hi all,
I'm trying to execute from crontab a script that uses an interactive shell (swmml, Signalware MML Commands).

I think the problem is about the crontab environment which miss tty/console/terminal etc...

After many tryings and searches I didn't come to a solution.

The program is launched from crontab this way:
Code:
15 * * * * su - omniusr -c "swmml -e \'DISPLAY-PROCESS\'" > swmml_D_PROCESS.log 2>&1

I always get this error message in the logfile:
Quote:
ERROR: STDIN is a character special file
The code in swmml (which is a perl script) that cause the error is:

Code:
   if (-t STDIN) {
    } elsif (-p STDIN) {
        if (-B STDIN) {
            die 'STDIN is a binary file';
        } else {
            return 1;
        }
    } elsif (-S STDIN) {
        die 'STDIN is a socket';
    } elsif (-c STDIN) {
        die 'STDIN is a character special file';
    } elsif (-f STDIN) {
        if (-B STDIN) {
            die 'STDIN is a binary file';
        } else {
            return 1;
        }
    } else {
        die $baIlaIlI.' doesn\'t know what STDIN is';
    }

Does anybody has a suggestion for this issue?
How can I run such command from crontab?

Thanks for your help!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrap Interactive Script

Does anyone know of a program to wrap an interactive script into an application..I tried using platypus but i want a utility to allow interactive scripts to be run in a stand-alone window to avoid .profile settings on multiple computers...platypus provides the option of a text window output but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meskue
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to non interactive mode

Gud morning everybody, I need small help form you people,Please advice me. I have a utility(adpatch) which takes 10-15 prompts, i want to automate this by calling this utility in shell script. Now my qiestion i want to run the script in non interactive mode. An example. $adpatch... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swetham.apps
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating Interactive script

I have a script that will install software on all remote host. At the end of the script it starts the install.sh part and goes into a interactive mode asking Yes or No questions and prompting to add a username and password. My question is how can I script this so that these questions are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
7 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive script

Greetings gurus I have this simple scripts #!/bin/bash find /kl1/CTT/TQI_001/330_spike/sz00/latcon1/ -type d -name "*.dig" > data_schema find /kl1/CTT/TQI_001/330_spike/sz00/latcon1/ -type d -name "*.dig" >> data_schema <data.schema awk '{print NR, "inVol=" $0, "setDt=4000",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marjan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive script – if then

Hi, I am writing an interactive shell script (ksh) but I have no idea how I could make a condition on it : Variables : rep_config="${rep_tools}/_CONFIG" rep_config_old="${rep_config}/_PROTO_OLD" Here is the interactice part : lst_proto=$(cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non interactive su in bash script

Hi, I have a python gui which allow users entering the root password, then a bash script is called to run "su" with the root password on the background. I could find a way to run "su" with a password. How to run "su" in a bash script without password prompt? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive script with background

I have script, which need some variable from user and i use below command for this read this script works fine while running without background, but when i run this script in background, it ask first variable then immediately it show below error KSH variable not found please let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interactive Shutdown script

Hello folks. I will start out by saying as far as unix/linux scripting goes I know less about it than i do about giving birth (I'm a guy hehe). I am looking to make a shutdown script that will either shut down the system or reboot it using one of the shutdown run methods IE init 2 - 5 or a base... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azurie
1 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitExplicitStdinUser Contributed Perl DocumentaPerl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitExplicitStdin(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitExplicitStdin - Use "<>" or "<ARGV>" or a prompting module instead of "<STDIN>". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Perl has a useful magic filehandle called *ARGV that checks the command line and if there are any arguments, opens and reads those as files. If there are no arguments, *ARGV behaves like *STDIN instead. This behavior is almost always what you want if you want to create a program that reads from "STDIN". This is often written in one of the following two equivalent forms: while (<ARGV>) { # ... do something with each input line ... } # or, equivalently: while (<>) { # ... do something with each input line ... } If you want to prompt for user input, try special purpose modules like IO::Prompt. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. CAVEATS
Due to a bug in the current version of PPI (v1.119_03) and earlier, the readline operator is often misinterpreted as less-than and greater- than operators after a comma. Therefore, this policy misses important cases like my $content = join '', <STDIN>; because it interprets that line as the nonsensical statement: my $content = join '', < STDIN >; When that PPI bug is fixed, this policy should start catching those violations automatically. CREDITS
Initial development of this policy was supported by a grant from the Perl Foundation. AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Chris Dolan. Many rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitExplicitStdin(3)