Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New unix user questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New unix user questions Post 302533788 by joeyg on Friday 24th of June 2011 03:42:31 PM
Old 06-24-2011
Take a look at the FAQ section

Take a look here -->

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions - The UNIX and Linux Forums

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Questions

Hello all I have some questions, Im new on Solaris system, On a sun 450 I`ve installed Solaris 8, for practical purposes. I create my account, but when I try to use my account, I dont see my desktop, (graphical interfase) only appears a little like icon on the up letf corner, when I use root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

2 Unix questions

If I wanted to do the following things to all the files in a directory how could I do it. Make all the files in a directory and in its sub directories to hidden status and make a different directory and all its sub directories copy inhibit. I am really stumped and have been looking through the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaka
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix questions

Hi I got asked over the phone for interview can anyone answer the following #1 What is the command to copy files from 1 Unix machine to another Unix machine, providing that the 2 machines are in the same network. I think its cp, what is the one machine to another machine thing #2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Questions for User Survey

Hello, I'm a sysadmin in training and need to create/gather a survey from all the users about the servers that they use, problems, challenges etc. Main purpose of the survey is to identify areas & room for improvement on the existing UNIX environment. I have in mind these questions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahzzbietel
8 Replies

5. Programming

Questions about user authentication in my application

Hi, all, I am a newbie to linux authentication part. Questions below really puzzle me: How to authenticate users from local storage(passwd shadow) and nis server? (Without PAM) getpwnam_r() will return a '*' in the pw_passwd field of "struct passwd". I can parse /etc/shadow. But how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mythmgn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix questions

Hello, Hello, Can any one tell me the answer of these questions attached in the document. The competition was over and I wanted to know correct answers. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bits1904
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner scripting questions User variables

If there's anywhere to look this up, it would be just as helpful. I googled and really couldn't find anything relative to this. ok... General Variables 1) When creating a script I made a file "prog1.sh" does it matter if the end is .sh or is this what has to be done like prog.bash or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single User Mode Questions (mac)

Hello everyone. Completely new here (so if this post is in the wrong forum point me in the right direction), and fairly new to unix. I have a macbook pro and just recently started messing around with the Single User Mode, where i can manipulate directories/files/etc using unix. I have also just... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsant894
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bashdb - new user basic questions

This may be too silly and definitely way to early to ask . I'll admit have read about 5% of documentation so far , but can you make bashdb to step thru the file "automatically" by setting some kind of timeout? and second how do you stop the process ? Is "quit" the only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annacreek
1 Replies
DPKG-PRECONFIGURE(8)						      Debconf						      DPKG-PRECONFIGURE(8)

NAME
dpkg-preconfigure - let packages ask questions prior to their installation SYNOPSIS
dpkg-preconfigure [options] package.deb dpkg-preconfigure --apt DESCRIPTION
dpkg-preconfigure lets packages ask questions before they are installed. It operates on a set of debian packages, and all packages that use debconf will have their config script run so they can examine the system and ask questions. OPTIONS
-ftype, --frontend=type Select the frontend to use. -pvalue, --priority=value Set the lowest priority of questions you are interested in. Any questions with a priority below the selected priority will be ignored and their default answers will be used. --terse Enables terse output mode. This affects only some frontends. --apt Run in apt mode. It will expect to read a set of package filenames from stdin, rather than getting them as parameters. Typically this is used to make apt run dpkg-preconfigure on all packages before they are installed. To do this, add something like this to /etc/apt/apt.conf: // Pre-configure all packages before // they are installed. DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs { "dpkg-preconfigure --apt --priority=low"; }; -h, --help Display usage help. SEE ALSO
debconf(7) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2018-02-28 DPKG-PRECONFIGURE(8)