Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help scripting to start, check, and restart processes Post 302533419 by neutronscott on Thursday 23rd of June 2011 03:12:04 PM
Old 06-23-2011
screen will spawn a child, so I was thinking using $$ from 'exec'

You'll be checking if jd.sh is running. If it's running, java must be.. If it's not running, screen would exit (unless you add other windows I guess).

Remove the echo from chkscr and use

Code:
echo $$ >$CBPATH/cb.pid

at top of 'exec'
This User Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I make a program start up automatically after the computer restart/startup?

hi all How can I make a program start up automatically after the computer restart/startup in fedora? something like: ... Establish a shell then run some of command code. Thanks for Help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help: shell script to restart apache when no. of processes keeps growing

I need a shell script to kill apache and restart it, in case the number of processes keeps growing. The logic is like the below, but I don't know how to get the number and neither the syntax. Could somebody kindly help? if no_of_processes (ps ax ¦ grep httpd) > 200 then killall httpd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: _joshua_
14 Replies

3. AIX

How to start/stop/restart NFS on AIX

Hi, Very new to aix How to start/stop/restart NFS on AIX thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Log 'syslog start/stop/restart' messages

How can I tell my syslog.conf to log "syslog start/stop/restart" messages on a Solaris box? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SunnyK
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start Stop Restart

I'm wondering how I should make a script that can start, stop, and restart another script. What I need to be able to do, is start and stop a perl script from the command line. The easiest way of doing this seems to be to have another script, starting and stopping the other script. I have BASH,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bakes
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

guarantee to start before restart...

Hi All, is there a way or script that i can check my AIX 5.3 OS will restart before i made restart? is there a script that can check all the startup files are ok before restarting. it is because i was stuck last time when i restart my PC because some startup files were missing:o. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to start/stop processes

Please anyone tell me In my last interview the HR asks me how to monitor, start,stop & kill the various processes and subprocesses. Please anyone explain me clearly. It's my personal request (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stop/Start vs. Restart

Is there any functional difference between: issuing separate stop/start commands like this; super (handler) (instance) stop super (handler) (instance) start versus issuing a single recycle command like this; super (handler) (instance) restart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newbix
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Check hung process and restart

Hi all I have networker running on a RHEL 5.7 and over time it hangs. So the solution backup team proposed is to check if the process is hung, to stop and start it. Unfortunately for me, the rc script only allows three commands, start, stop and status (no restart option) so I managed to set... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
15 Replies

10. Red Hat

Service restart and check if running

Hello, I'l like to create a script that restart a service (/etc/init.d/httpd restart) and also check if after restart the service is actually running. Sometimes it happen that at the first try the service fails to restart. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bazzola
2 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statusPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid (in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int *statusPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options (in) The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and does not want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process has not exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs does not wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it is not necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)