Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers alias to go back to previous directory? Post 302533085 by ac2011 on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 05:20:38 PM
Old 06-22-2011
Great--thank you! That's way easier than I had imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Code:
cd -

That's a "cd <space> minus sign"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with find command on a shortcut directory(Alias)???

Hi All, I am trying to find some files on a directory( /usr/users/xyz/log) which is an alias to another directory(/spare/log). My find works fine on /spare/log but it doesnt return anything when i use it on /usr/users/xyz/log. Any Ideas on how to proceed. Thanks in advance. Swamy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating alias for directory path

I am trying to create an alias for a frequently used directory path by using alias xyz="/proj/dir_name" and then trying to reach a sub-directoy by using cd xyz/abc but I get an error saying " No such file or directory " plz tell me wats wrong with this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasjot31
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to create directory with the previous date

I need some help to complet the below script: DATE1=`date "+%d"` #DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` #DATE3=$DATE2`date "+%m%y"` DATE4=`date "+%a"` if ; then DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 3` else DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
7 Replies

4. Linux

how to recover from back up directory

Hey all, Is there any way out to get/restore the deleted file in Linux ? As we do have Recycle Bin in Windows OS. as i deleted some files.. it is available in .snapshot but its a large files.. i cont use "mv" command to copy back. it there any way .. such like in window we click restore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Puzzling Problem: Going back to the previous directory

Hi, I am trying to figure out if there is a way to make linux take me back to the previous directory I was working in. For instance, I am in /home/username/directory1 Then if I cd into /home/username/directory1/temp1/temp2/temp3 I would like to immediately go back to the previous... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

6. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias to cd and ls a directory

I am trying to create an alias to cd to a directry and ls the directory I have changed to. I have the following code; alias cd= 'cd ; ls $@' This just cd to the directory and ls the current directory. Any suggestions? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define Alias for Changing Directory to Another One

Hello Friends is it possible to define an alias (say named as COMMAND) to pick a part of line and change my directory to picked. For example when I type COMMAND mfong@vhl.gov.nd/homefolder/hhk/ADS/ it would do cd /homefolder/hhk/ADS/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpf
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move back to a directory

~/assign1b/assign1/york/> your current directory is york how do you go back to your home directory with using relative pathname? not using cd alone? :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackendstars
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a directory with previous date

Hi All, can any body tell me how to create a new directory with previous time stamp in HP-UX?. e.g i am creating a file liketouch -t 07022013 kkk -rw-r----- 1 feeds sys 0 Jul 2 20:13 kkksame how can i create a directory? please help me. Thanks & Regards, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)