Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help scripting to start, check, and restart processes Post 302532979 by neutronscott on Thursday 23rd of June 2011 09:50:18 AM
Old 06-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG32
Thank you very much neutronscott for your help, this has worked like a charm. Looks like I was way off. Thanks again. Smilie
There's just many different ways it can be solved. Instead of keeping a PID file (my original trial) I just ask screen if the session is running. It makes it so elegant, eh? Smilie

Thanks for the Thanks! Smilie

---------- Post updated 06-23-11 at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous update was 06-22-11 at 02:13 PM ----------

Oh man, I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking I didn't test all cases. So first thing today I run 'chkscreen' while attached to 'server1' session and I was right. bug Smilie

Sorry. Using '-r' checks if there is a session you can attach to, which is false if you're already attached.

So change

Code:
# does the session exist?
screen -r $SESSION -ls -q 2>&1 >/dev/null

to read

Code:
# does the session exist?
screen -S $SESSION -ls -q 2>&1 >/dev/null

And it shouldn't start extra servers when you're viewing the screen anymore. Sorry.
This User Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I make a program start up automatically after the computer restart/startup?

hi all How can I make a program start up automatically after the computer restart/startup in fedora? something like: ... Establish a shell then run some of command code. Thanks for Help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help: shell script to restart apache when no. of processes keeps growing

I need a shell script to kill apache and restart it, in case the number of processes keeps growing. The logic is like the below, but I don't know how to get the number and neither the syntax. Could somebody kindly help? if no_of_processes (ps ax ¦ grep httpd) > 200 then killall httpd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: _joshua_
14 Replies

3. AIX

How to start/stop/restart NFS on AIX

Hi, Very new to aix How to start/stop/restart NFS on AIX thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jredx
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Log 'syslog start/stop/restart' messages

How can I tell my syslog.conf to log "syslog start/stop/restart" messages on a Solaris box? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SunnyK
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start Stop Restart

I'm wondering how I should make a script that can start, stop, and restart another script. What I need to be able to do, is start and stop a perl script from the command line. The easiest way of doing this seems to be to have another script, starting and stopping the other script. I have BASH,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bakes
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

guarantee to start before restart...

Hi All, is there a way or script that i can check my AIX 5.3 OS will restart before i made restart? is there a script that can check all the startup files are ok before restarting. it is because i was stuck last time when i restart my PC because some startup files were missing:o. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to start/stop processes

Please anyone tell me In my last interview the HR asks me how to monitor, start,stop & kill the various processes and subprocesses. Please anyone explain me clearly. It's my personal request (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stop/Start vs. Restart

Is there any functional difference between: issuing separate stop/start commands like this; super (handler) (instance) stop super (handler) (instance) start versus issuing a single recycle command like this; super (handler) (instance) restart (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newbix
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Check hung process and restart

Hi all I have networker running on a RHEL 5.7 and over time it hangs. So the solution backup team proposed is to check if the process is hung, to stop and start it. Unfortunately for me, the rc script only allows three commands, start, stop and status (no restart option) so I managed to set... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
15 Replies

10. Red Hat

Service restart and check if running

Hello, I'l like to create a script that restart a service (/etc/init.d/httpd restart) and also check if after restart the service is actually running. Sometimes it happen that at the first try the service fails to restart. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bazzola
2 Replies
sb2-session(1)						       sb2-session man page						    sb2-session(1)

NAME
sb2-session - manage scratchbox2 sessions SYNOPSIS
sb2-session [COMMAND [PARAMS]] DESCRIPTION
sb2-session is used to create attachable scratchbox2 sessions. You can save session even when you haven't done '-S session' during sb2 startup. Note that you can give parameters to attach command which are passed verbatim to sb2. If there is only one session to attach, it is selected automatically. If no command is given, help text is printed. COMMANDS
help shows help text save saves current session list lists detached sb2 sessions delete SESSION deletes given session attach [SESSION [PARAMS]] attaches to a given session setenv VARIABLE VALUE store a value for an environment variable showenv show stored environment variables EXAMPLES
Basic usage is: [SB2 .. ] $ sb2-session save # save session [SB2 .. ] $ ^D # exit Later we can then attach to this session: % sb2-session attach If there are more than one saved session, then: % sb2-session list session.XXXX TARGET_ARM My Comment session.YYYY TARGET_ARM My Comment 2 session.ZZZZ TARGET_MIPS % sb2-session attach session.YYYY Here we pass '-eR' to sb2 and we only have one saved session: % sb2-session attach -- -eR '--' marks end of parameter list for sb2-session. setenv VARIABLE VALUE can be used to add environment variables, that will become active when a saved session is later taken into use (either by sb2-session attach or by sb2 -J). setenv VARIABLE VALUE does not change environment of sessions that are already active. showenv lists environment variable settings which have been stored with this tool. It does not show environment variables from other sources. SEE ALSO
sb2(1) AUTHOR
Mika Westerberg 2.2 21 December 2010 sb2-session(1)