Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Install Hang OpenServer 6 - SATA CDROM Post 302532630 by millosman on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 12:41:59 PM
Old 06-21-2011
Install Hang OpenServer 6 - SATA CDROM

Hi all

Can anybody offer any help with installing Openserver 6 on a Supermicro server?
I am familiar with installing OS5, but this is my first time with v6.
The PC is fitted with Supermicro X8DTL-I Dual Xeon motherboard and 2 Xeon E5620 processors, and 16Gb Ram, LSI MegaRaid SAS8708 8 port RAID controller, & 7 SAS disks.

Unfortuantely there are no IDE controllers onboard, so the CDROM drive is SATA, but configured in the Bios to be ''IDE''. It seems the SCO doesn't like this device.

The system boots off the SCO CD ok to start with, but when I try to load additional HBA drivers either off the SCO Media, or from a CD made from the LSI installation CD containing drivers for the RAID card, the install just says ' Processing drivers...' and hangs. There is no activity on the CD drive from this point on, and I am forced to reboot.

(Also, the machine does not have a floppy drive).

Has anyone any ideas why the machine is hanging?
I have tried reducing RAM to 4Gb, reducing number of active Cores in CPUs to 1 each, turning off all performance related parameters in the BIOS but to no avail.

I attached a USB CD drive, with similar results - the only difference was I got a Timeout message whilst trying to load HBA drivers rather than a Hang, so I am guessing the issue relates to the CD drive.

I noticed a Driver supplement patch 7.1.4d on SCO site which relates to SATA CDROM's not emulating IDE properly, but I cannot get this patch on either which I've been trying to do through the 'Add additional HBA drivers' section early in the install. Again the CD drive just hangs... Catch 22!

Any advice anyone? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

sco openserver 5.0.2 cdrom

Hello!!!! Salut!!!! I m looking for sco openserver 5.0.2 package to install it on my compaq server prosignia 200. I don't fount it on our local market. Is it possible to me to download it from the net??? Je suis à la recherche de SCO OPENSERVER 5.0.2 pour son installation (requise) sur mon... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azeklousaid
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

trying to setup a sata drive using a sata to scsi adaptor

trying to setup a sata drive using a sata to scsi adaptor I have a sata 1TB Deskstar that I had setup before and during shipment from a facilty to another, the disk failed. The handling was not great, lots of throwing boxes, etc. I have a new disk from Hitachi (thankyou Hitachi) anyway, I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mndavies
1 Replies

3. Solaris

x86 Install stops with a /cdrom error

Hi, I have a DVD burned iso image of Solaris 10 for x86 and trying to install it on an PowerSpec PC with 2 - DVD drives. The DVD image won't boot from the top DVD drive so I put it in the second one and it boots. The installation gets to the following prompt: "You may need to manually eject the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpollard001
2 Replies

4. SCO

SATA Hard Disk support by SCO OpenServer 5.05

Is SATA hard disk is suooprted by SCO OpenServer 5.05? If No, how to couter this problem. If yes, please provide the installation steps. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar9919
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Boot cdrom - install

Hi community, Does anyone can tell me the difference between "boot cdrom" and "boot cdrom - install" ? Thank you very much:D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
3 Replies

6. Hardware

Connect SATA Laptop HardDrive to Desktop SATA Slots

Hello everybody, I need to connect a laptop 2.5 SATA hard drive to a Desktop board (which uses 3.5' SATA hard drives). I've tried the connectors and they fit excellent in the 2.5 SATA connectors. The problem is that the laptop hard drive uses 5v and the PC's power source sends 12v. So, my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
4 Replies

7. Hardware

Question on SATA 300 vs SATA 600

I have an upgrade path in mind for a new computer that will be stocked with a 2TB SATA 300 hard disk. This is a choice based on information that SATA 300 is not necessarily faster than SATA 600. The upgrade path in a year time or so would then involve the purchase of an SSD that would contain the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

8. Solaris

HOW TO INSTALL os from cdrom from console?

Hi all, I need to do installation via console , a image is stored in cdrom. The OS is Sun Solaris , Please tell me how to go about it. I just need to know the first command and thereafter. Please advise. Thanks Manali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
5 Replies

9. SCO

SCO 6.0.0 hangsat install cdrom verify

Installing SCO 6.0.0 on a Supermico server. Has an LSI 9240-8i MegaRaid SAS controller using the megasas drivers. Created a driver diskette and it loads the drivers in first part of install OK. When all drivers are loaded it starts the installation process and it hangs with the "... verify (cdrom)"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adacomp
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sco openserver 6 on hd sata: cloning

Good evening, I should make a full image copy of the 1 terabyte hard drive on an HP WX4600 workstation and is present as the only Sco OpenServer 6 operating system, which I need to run a very old corporate accounting program. Logically, Sco OpenServer 6 on this workstation has been regularly... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIGHTPRINCE79
7 Replies
nv_sata(7D)							      Devices							       nv_sata(7D)

NAME
nv_sata - Nvidia ck804/mcp55 SATA controller driver SYNOPSIS
sata@unit-address DESCRIPTION
The nv_sata driver is a SATA HBA driver that supports Nvidia ck804 and mcp55 SATA HBA controllers. Note that while these Nvidia con- trollers support standard SATA features including SATA-II drives, NCQ, hotplug and ATAPI drives, the driver currently does not support NCQ features. CONFIGURATION
The nv_sata module contains no user configurable parameters. FILES
/kernel/drv/nv_sata 32-bit ELF kernel module (x86). /kernel/drv/amd64/nv_sata 64-bit ELF kernel module (x86). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attribute: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnvsata | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cfgadm(1M), cfgadm_sata(1M), prtconf(1M), sata(7D), sd(7D) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.11 22 Jul 2008 nv_sata(7D)