Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove part of file name with sed & mv Post 302532368 by Corona688 on Monday 20th of June 2011 06:32:02 PM
Old 06-20-2011
Try echo mv, to see what you're actually getting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How do I take out(remove) the date part in the file name?

Hi Guys here I am again, I have two files in a specified location. Location ex: /opt/xdm/input/ input file names: 1. abc_app.yyyymmdd.dtd 2. abd_app.yyyymmdd.dtd I need to build a code that reads the files from the location based on the oldest date and cuts the date part... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruthless
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove certain part of file name

Hi, Is it possible to remove the first part of the file name using find. i.e i have something like 2006abc.txt , 1007bed.txt etc, I wanna rename them to abc.txt , bed.txt I tried some stupid way.. find . -name '*.txt' -exec mv {} `cut -f2-5 -d"_" {}` \; somehow iam not getting it. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of the file

I have an xml file, from where I need to take out Application2 entries and keep the others. I need to remove from <product> to </product> and the key element to look for while removing should be <application> as other pairs can be same for others. <product> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove range part of a file with sed

Hello, I would like to remove a range from a file with sed or any script command that is appropriate The section start by and finish by and I would like to keep line Could you tell me which command I should type ? Thanks a lot, Franck My input file is like this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfranck
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question: Help need to remove blank line & sed: Couldn't re-allocate memory error.

I've shell script where i used the below command to take the line which contains patterns. sed -n "/$year 05:/,/$year 17:/p" trace.log | grep -f patterns.txt > output.log This was working fine for long time, but now a days this script is not working with and throwing error like sed:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of a column in a text file

I have a text file with delimiter "|" and sometimes the zipcode is in "5th" column or "6th" column. I want to scan the file and remove the "-2323" from the zipcode which has zip+4 digits From blah|blah|foo|bar||blah|945523-232|USA blah|blah|foo|bar||blah|foo|94555-2323|USA To... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to remove part of line with regex

Greetings everyone. Right now I am working on a script to be used during automated deployment of servers. What I have to do is remove localhost.localdomain and localhost6.localdomain6 from the /etc/hosts file. Simple, right? Except most of the examples I've found using sed want to delete the entire... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & remove duplicates on output

sed -e '1d' -e 's/^\(]\{2\}\)-\(]\{3\}\)-\(]\{4\}\).*/"0000020\1\200\3"\,/g' abc.txt This script returns many duplicates due to the duplciates in the .txt file. i.e. ... "000002012149000060", "000002012149000064", "000002012149000064", "000002012149000064", "000002012149000064",... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the date part of the file?

Hi Gurus, I have file name like: abcd.20131005.dat I need to remove mid part of data final name should be abcd.dat thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of the file using a condition

Gents, Is there the chance to remove part of the file, Taking in consideration this condition. For each record the first row start with the string % VE should be 56 rows for each records.. first row = % VE last row = % sw total 56 rows for each record. Then in the case that the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)