Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script help Undefined /illegal variable using cat Post 302532330 by dpreviti on Monday 20th of June 2011 03:44:47 PM
Old 06-20-2011
Thanks A lot. That did it!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prompting for Input - Getting Undefined Variable

#!/bin/csh -f echo "Enter MEUPS User Id :-" read UID echo "You entered $UID" --------------------------------------- Whn executed, I get an error message "UID: Undefined variable" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kartheg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

undefined variable error

Hi all, Im using a script which contains read command.. the script works perfectly but when I alias the script it gave "undifined variable" after I enter the read command input (variable)... Does any one know why ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined variable in mv script

Hello, #this script renames schematic file for model year change #my = model year prefix my="lsd" for i in 'ls lsb*' do old=$i new='echo $i | cut - c4 - c30' mv $i $my$new end i: Undefined variable What am I missing or doing wrong? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtrescott
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined variable error in csh script

Below csh script gives error: Undefined variable:confused: #!/bin/csh $QUERY="netscape"; COUNT_NETSCAPE=${ps | grep -c $QUERY}; echo $COUNT_NETSCAPE; when run gives error adroit:/home/seo/hitendra 64 ] ./unix_6.sh QUERY: Undefined variable. What is the root cause of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined variable and command not found

Below script cuts date part from the date entered by the user. #!/bin/csh echo 'Enter date in the format dd/mm/yyyy' read DATE DD=`echo $DATE | cut -c1-2` echo $DD; when debug with -x option , it works perfectly but without -x doesnot.:confused: $ sh -x unix_12.sh + echo Enter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Csh script with Undefined variable error

hi there I have this C shell script that was migrated from AIX to Linux, could someone please help me, I checked the syntax numerous times but I can't find out where the error is. The script is meant to find files older than 27 days and delete it #!/usr/bin/csh # ... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
22 Replies

8. Ubuntu

error LD: undefined variable while changing shell from bash to csh

Hi, i am a beginner in ubuntu. my default shell is bash. everytime i try to change the shell with command "csh", i get a message (probably an error message). after i get into c-shell, when i try to execute a c shellscript, then it showed the same message. any idea about what is this about or any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Avinash Nayak
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Legal and illegal bash variable names?

list of legal and illegal bash variable names and wht each is either illegal and ligal? 4. Seneca college, Toronto , Canada, peter wheeler, tech 154: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Undefined variable error

I am getting the error undefined variable even after following these steps #read name abcd #echo $name na: undefined variable (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishawdeep
6 Replies
pbmreduce(1)						      General Commands Manual						      pbmreduce(1)

NAME
pbmreduce - read a portable bitmap and reduce it N times SYNOPSIS
pbmreduce [-floyd|-fs|-threshold ] [-value val] N [pbmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable bitmap as input. Reduces it by a factor of N, and produces a portable bitmap as output. pbmreduce duplicates a lot of the functionality of pgmtopbm; you could do something like pnmscale | pgmtopbm, but pbmreduce is a lot faster. pbmreduce can be used to "re-halftone" an image. Let's say you have a scanner that only produces black&white, not grayscale, and it does a terrible job of halftoning (most b&w scanners fit this description). One way to fix the halftoning is to scan at the highest possible res- olution, say 300 dpi, and then reduce by a factor of three or so using pbmreduce. You can even correct the brightness of an image, by using the -value flag. OPTIONS
By default, the halftoning after the reduction is done via boustrophedonic Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion; however, the -threshold flag can be used to specify simple thresholding. This gives better results when reducing line drawings. The -value flag alters the thresholding value for all quantizations. It should be a real number between 0 and 1. Above 0.5 means darker images; below 0.5 means lighter. All flags can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. SEE ALSO
pnmenlarge(1), pnmscale(1), pgmtopbm(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1988 by Jef Poskanzer. 02 August 1989 pbmreduce(1)