Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create files from a list and then populate them Post 302532052 by MaindotC on Sunday 19th of June 2011 02:58:22 PM
Old 06-19-2011
It is confusing and I appreciate your help and decrypting my request. Let me just add a little more explanation. When I originally referred to the "bar_txt" file - that's a file containing a list of /etc/passwd entries. The "foo_txt" file contains the name of the server where the /etc/passwd entry will be created. So, I usually have a "foo_txt" file that has repeating entries depending on how many lines of the bar_txt file will be input to the respective file created from foo_txt. I tried to denote this as the server name is listed in each line of the bar_txt file - it would be where you see "file_a" or "file_b" etc. I probably could have written the question a little better.

In any event I appreciate your reply and I'll give it a chance when I can - just thought I'd throw up a quick post and see if I could get some guidance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a list of files that were modified after a given date.

Hello Mates! I'm kinda new to unix and need to a solve a problem. Input: date Situation: With the given date I need to find a list of all such files starting from a given path that were modified after the given date. I experimented with the "find" with "-newer" but did not quite get it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkka
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Create List of Deleted Files

Hi, I want to put all the deleted files in a txt file. Because i want to backup my image server which has thousands of jpg images. I wrote a shell script which will copies images from image server to backup image server. I setup a cronjob which runs on every five minutes. & through timestamp it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create diffrent files based on other file and parameters list

I would like ot create shell script/ bash to create diffrent files based on a file and parameters list. Here is the detail example: I have a textfile and four static parameter files (having ‘?'). mainfile.txt has below records (this count may be more than 50) A200001 A200101 B200001... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav525
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create multiple list of files in a directory ?

Hi, i have say 100 files in a directory. file1.log file2.log file3.log file4.log file5.log file6.log ... ... ... file99.log file100.log ========= I need to create another file which contains the list of al these log files. each file should contain only 10 log file names. it shud... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help how to create a file (xml) list all files from directory

I have more than 10K songs in two directories on a hard drive. I would like to create a file list all of files name then change to .xml extension to upload to iPhone so I have a Karaoke list on my iPhone. I need your help to create a file by using command in Linux. Files names: 0001 More... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggcc
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Command to list all header files used to create an executable

All, I would like to know if there is a command which will list all the header files which were used while creating the executable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: helper
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create empty files from a list on file

Hello Guys. Please I would like to create empty files from a list In file1 will be the followin values, so i will like to create for each name a empty file. file1 2191off-r0.sps 2192off-r0.sps 2193off-r0.sps 2194off-r0.sps 2195off-r0.sps So I need to get 5 empty files. Thanks for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of missing files

Hello Guys I have a big list of files in one directory. And Some are missing . Example ls -l 2191off-r0.sps 2193off-r0.sps 2194off-r0.sps 2197off-r0.sps 2198off-r0.sps 2200off-r0.sps I would like to create a file with the list only missing files. Or if is possible to create in ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan directories and create a list of files

Gents, Please can you help. I want to create a list which contends the complete patch of the location of some directories with the size of each file. need to select only .txt file In this case I am try to find the subdirectories tp1 and tp2 and create the output list. jd175-1 tp1... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of files from alias by script

Actually I have many pictures with diferent name and size around 2000, I need generate a copy of them from one list of alias. The structure of the list is something like this: alias_list.txt <01>randomname.png<02> Randomname.png RandoMname.png RandOmname.png RandomnamE.png... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
6 Replies