Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Requesting help with shell script Post 302531335 by Corona688 on Thursday 16th of June 2011 12:10:52 PM
Old 06-16-2011
You can start and stop the quotes whenever you want without chopping up the resulting string. (Unless any of the variables contain spaces, in which case it will still get chopped up.)

Code:
echo 'This does not substitute'${BUT_THIS_DOES}'Back in single quotes'

You can also try double quotes, which do allow substitution, and won't ever chop up the string:
Code:
echo "Hello world, VAR1=${VAR1}"

If there's things in your URL which do funny things in double quotes, you can escape them with \ so they're interpreted literally.
Code:
echo "This is a literal dollar sign --> \$ <-- see?"

Last edited by Corona688; 06-16-2011 at 02:04 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requesting input and for loop

Test - Test (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amit Sura
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requesting full back up scripts

hi guys linux noob here wanting to learn linux scripting, i need help with a backup script that not only allows me to back up my files but restore them to my own personal directory, had a look at some of the coding from the scripts section on this site but still lost. any help is much appreciated (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: burnie35
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

requesting available port with shell script

how do I request a new and available local port (TCP) to use with shell script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmylita
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requesting help to replace a string by my bash script

Hello every1, I need help to replace a string in a file by my bash script. Find: log4j.appender.toLogFile.layout.ConversionPattern= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n Replace: log4j.appender.toLogFile.layout.ConversionPattern= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n I tried by sed, but kept... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: titanic4u
7 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Requesting a new forum

Hi admins and moderators!! Happy new year and merry Christmas :D Well, I have been here a few months now as a registered member and may be 6-7 years that I got numerous help directly and indirectly from this site as a guest. Unix.com really has a vast collection of posts on wide variety of... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl scripts: requesting for logic explanation

Hi, balajesuri and durden_tyler, I have found your perl script for the thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/176370-perl-script-help-me-extracting-string.html, but find it difficult to understand the syntax. Could you or any forum members kindly shed some light on the logic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

7. SCO

Requesting procedure to install SCO_UNIXWare7.1.4 on virtualbox

Sir I want to practice SCO_Unix so I want to install SCO_UnixWare7.1.4 on virtualbox so can you please suggest the procedure how to install it on virtualbox. My host Operating System is OpenSuse12.3. I am unable to run VmWare on my OS so please suggest how to install on virtualbox only. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshforu3
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requesting help for TL1 scripting

HI Everyone, I have TL1 script which takes the temperature of a CISCO equipment through TELNET now i need to save the output of the command to a csv file . Like this is the output > RTRV-SHELFSTAT:AB1S2a::1; AB1S2a 2016-02-03 22:29:39 M 1 COMPLD ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgjmpt
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterUsertContrPerl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars - Warns that you might have used single quotes when you really wanted double-quotes. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
This policy warns you if you use single-quotes or "q//" with a string that has unescaped metacharacters that may need interpolation. Its hard to know for sure if a string really should be interpolated without looking into the symbol table. This policy just makes an educated guess by looking for metacharacters and sigils which usually indicate that the string should be interpolated. Exceptions o Variable names to "use vars": use vars '$x'; # ok use vars ('$y', '$z'); # ok use vars qw< $a $b >; # ok o Things that look like e-mail addresses: print 'john@foo.com'; # ok $address = 'suzy.bar@baz.net'; # ok CONFIGURATION
The "rcs_keywords" option allows you to stop this policy from complaining about things that look like RCS variables, for example, in deriving values for $VERSION variables. For example, if you've got code like our ($VERSION) = (q<$Revision: 4106 $> =~ m/(d+)/mx); You can specify [ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars] rcs_keywords = Revision in your .perlcriticrc to provide an exemption. NOTES
Perl's own "warnings" pragma also warns you about this. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars(3pm)