Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Need help using find or locate with wildcards Post 302531090 by Vijay N on Thursday 16th of June 2011 01:09:23 AM
Old 06-16-2011
Hi,

You require a root access when using the find command.
first login as root using su and then fire the find command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between locate and find

I was wondering what the difference was between the two commands, I understand that locate won't search for files with certain permissions set. Are there any others? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: camerja1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using find to locate hard and soft links with tar

I am digging for certain types of files in the current directory and all its sub-directories and archiving them with the following code: #! /usr/bin/ksh Archive=`date +%Y_%m_%d_%T` find . -type f \( -name \*\.ksh -o -name \*\.sql -o -name \*\.ini \) -print|xargs tar -cf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference of find,locate and whereis

hi guys, may i know the difference of find,locate and whereis ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in list with wildcards

I need to add code to a shell script to find out if a string matches any item in a list, where the list can contain a wildcard character. For example, if I have the following list: ok_versions="03-02-4, 04-01-*" Then I want to compare a particular string to see if it matches any item in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johan III
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Wildcards used in find, ls and grep commands

Platforms : Solaris 10 and RHEL 5.6 I always get double quotes , single quotes and asteriks mixed up for find, ls and grep commands. The below commands retrieve the correct results. But , unders stress , I get all these mixed up :mad: .So, i wanted to get a clear picture. Please check if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command and use of wildcards

greetings, below is the find command i am using for some filesystem maintenance: find /data/Engine \( -type d -name .snapshot -prune -o -type d -wholename "/data/Engine/*/CAE" \ -prune -o -type d -wholename "/data/Engine/*/CAD" -prune -o -name ".*.case" \)\ -mtime +365 -print0 -fls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
5 Replies
LOCATE.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    LOCATE.CONF(5)

NAME
locate.conf -- locate database configuration file DESCRIPTION
The locate.conf file specifies the behavior of locate.updatedb(8), which creates the locate(1) database. The locate.conf file contains a list of newline separated records, each of which is composed of a keyword and arguments, which are separated by white space. Arguments with embedded shell metacharacters must be quoted in sh(1) style. Lines beginning with ``#'' are treated as com- ments and ignored. However, a ``#'' in the middle of a line does not start a comment. The configuration options are as follows: ignore pattern ... Ignore files or directories. When building the database, do not descend into files or directories which match one of the specified patterns. The matched files or directories are not stored to the database. Default: Not specified. ignorecontents pattern ... Ignore contents of directories. When building the database, do not descend into files or directories which match one of the speci- fied patterns. The matched files or directories themselves are stored to the database. Default: Not specified. ignorefs type ... Ignore file system by type, adding type to the default list. When building the database, do not descend into file systems which are of the specified type. The mount points are not stored to the database. If a ``!'' is prepended to type, the meaning is negated, that is, ignore file systems which do not have the type. As a special case, if ``none'' is specified for type, the ignorefs list is cleared and all file systems are traversed. type is used as an argument to find(1) -fstype. The sysctl(8) command can be used to find out the types of file systems that are available on the system: sysctl vfs.generic.fstypes Default: !local cd9660 fdesc kernfs procfs searchpath directory ... Specify base directories to be put in the database. Default: / workdir directory Specify the working directory of locate.updatedb, in which a temporary file is placed. The temporary file is a list of all files, and you should specify a directory that has enough space to hold it. Default: /tmp Refer to find(1) for the details of pattern (see -path expression) and type (see -fstype expression). FILES
/etc/locate.conf The file locate.conf resides in /etc. SEE ALSO
find(1), locate(1), locate.updatedb(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The locate.conf file format first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. AUTHORS
ITOH Yasufumi BSD
July 10, 2011 BSD