Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change each letter of a string Post 302530595 by locoroco on Tuesday 14th of June 2011 11:45:48 AM
Old 06-14-2011
change each letter of a string

Is there a way to change each letter of a string to the next one in the alphabet, so that a becomes b and f becomes g, and digits become one unit bigger - 4 becomes 5 and 9 becomes 0.

I want to change strings like ben123 to cfo234.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

get only two letter from any string

I want get middle two latter of any string. Input: var="070108" output: var1="01" please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a letter in a string

How to check whether a particular string contains dot or not? Here I can not use grep as the string is not in a file. I will get this string from user input Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balamv
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the letter from string

Hi, Pl help me. User is entering the values for the given input Enter keys: secret1 secret2 secret3 can i extract the last digit of each values in the keys.. here for ex. 1 2 3 can we get this using shell script? (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: balamv
22 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

First Letter in a String to be capitalized

Is there a way to cnvert first letter alone in a string to upper case. For eg: diamond should be converted to Diamond. Thanks in Advance, Kinny (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOWTO - change letter case of variable value

Hi I have e.g. VAR1=january and I need to change it into VAR1=January. How to change value of VAR1 variable to always set first character uppercase and other lowercase ? thx for help. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to take a string and break each letter into a separate variable

I am trying to make a script that takes a word and each letter up and turns it into a separate variable. My code currently does not work but I feel I just need to tweak one thing that I am unsure of. (ex: if forum was typed in letter1=f; letter2=o; letter3=r;...) Thank you count=1; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

check index of a string by finding a letter in it

i would like to search for a letter in a string and get its index position. example: name='john' pos=$(expr index $name o) the result will be equal to 2 (2nd position) how do you make this thing not case sensitive? example: name='john' pos=$(expr index $name O) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokoro
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary

Hi, I have written the following python snippet to store the capital letter starting words into a dictionary as key and no of its appearances as a value in this dictionary against the key. #!/usr/bin/env python import sys import re hash = {} # initialize an empty dictinonary for line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue catching/reading 2 digits and 3 letter string between brackets

Hello I'm writing a handler for ffmpeg, and having troubles to catch some exceptions that may occour with certain files. In order to parse for video & subtitle maps, i've had to make the raw data easier to handle, until now this worked well, but basicly i've just been lucky... The input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies
Text::Soundex(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					Text::Soundex(3pm)

NAME
Text::Soundex - Implementation of the Soundex Algorithm as Described by Knuth SYNOPSIS
use Text::Soundex; $code = soundex $string; # get soundex code for a string @codes = soundex @list; # get list of codes for list of strings # set value to be returned for strings without soundex code $soundex_nocode = 'Z000'; DESCRIPTION
This module implements the soundex algorithm as described by Donald Knuth in Volume 3 of The Art of Computer Programming. The algorithm is intended to hash words (in particular surnames) into a small space using a simple model which approximates the sound of the word when spo- ken by an English speaker. Each word is reduced to a four character string, the first character being an upper case letter and the remain- ing three being digits. If there is no soundex code representation for a string then the value of $soundex_nocode is returned. This is initially set to "undef", but many people seem to prefer an unlikely value like "Z000" (how unlikely this is depends on the data set being dealt with.) Any value can be assigned to $soundex_nocode. In scalar context "soundex" returns the soundex code of its first argument, and in list context a list is returned in which each element is the soundex code for the corresponding argument passed to "soundex" e.g. @codes = soundex qw(Mike Stok); leaves @codes containing "('M200', 'S320')". EXAMPLES
Knuth's examples of various names and the soundex codes they map to are listed below: Euler, Ellery -> E460 Gauss, Ghosh -> G200 Hilbert, Heilbronn -> H416 Knuth, Kant -> K530 Lloyd, Ladd -> L300 Lukasiewicz, Lissajous -> L222 so: $code = soundex 'Knuth'; # $code contains 'K530' @list = soundex qw(Lloyd Gauss); # @list contains 'L300', 'G200' LIMITATIONS
As the soundex algorithm was originally used a long time ago in the US it considers only the English alphabet and pronunciation. As it is mapping a large space (arbitrary length strings) onto a small space (single letter plus 3 digits) no inference can be made about the similarity of two strings which end up with the same soundex code. For example, both "Hilbert" and "Heilbronn" end up with a soundex code of "H416". AUTHOR
This code was implemented by Mike Stok ("stok@cybercom.net") from the description given by Knuth. Ian Phillipps ("ian@pipex.net") and Rich Pinder ("rpinder@hsc.usc.edu") supplied ideas and spotted mistakes. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Text::Soundex(3pm)