Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extra character with iconv encoding Post 302530371 by fpmurphy on Monday 13th of June 2011 11:33:32 PM
Old 06-14-2011
What is the output of
Code:
iconv -f CP866 -t UTF-8 test.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iconv -l and ANSEL character set

I am forced to use the ANSEL character set for some GEDCOM documents but must convert them to a more modern set for another app which doesn't recognize ANSEL. I am unable to locate an ISO code for ANSEL in a search of the web. Would someone plese identify the ANSEL character set from the list given... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whiterock
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character encoding in Fedora6

Hello, After upgrading the OS from Fedora4 to Fedora6, the firefox view>character encoding doesn't work anymore. None of the foreign characters can be displayed, no matter what character encoding to select. Any suggestions? Thanks, bsky :confused (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsky
1 Replies

3. AIX

Vacation message character encoding

I am trying to send a vacation message (.vacation.msg) from my AIX 5.3 server. Message is UTF-8 characters. Some email clients (like apple mail) have no problems displaying the correct text, however, some, like Windows Outlook, display garbage. Is there a way of forcing the client to use proper... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanny
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort file adding extra character

HI all i have this script : #!/bin/bash sort /usr/tmp/"REPORT"$1 -o \ /usr/tmp/"SREPORT"$1 -k 1,7 -S 150 end of script now i'm doing this command : ls -lsgt *REPORT* 4 -rw-r--r-- 300 Sep 16 REPORT54784 4 -rw-r--r-- 301 Sep 16 SREPORT54784 as you can see the sorted file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete extra character in a line?

And I want to delete the characters longer than 20 for each line start with #. The other lines should remain the same. I think this can be done by sed. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks! my input file: #ZP_05494889.1_Clostridium_papyrosolvens... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritacc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove extra character

Hi I am using cat <filename> command in one of my datastage job(Command Activity). It is giving actual value but giving extra line. Eg: Displayed Output: 1 and showing extraline(Eg: 1 ) I had checked even wc -c it is giving one character extra. If the file contains 11. wc -c says 3. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk while-loop printing extra character

Hi, I'm using a while-loop in an awk script. If it matches a regular expression, it prints a line. Unfortunately, each line that is printed in this loop is followed by an extra character, "1". While-statement extracted from my script: getline temp; while (temp ~ /.* x .*/) print temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redbluefish
3 Replies

9. Solaris

connect to ILOM via ssh character encoding

Hello all, I am connecting to ILOM using ssh client (putty) but when RedHat start booting everything look chinese for me... Probably i have to configure the character set, i tried also utf-8 but the issue remain. Any idea? Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing extra character from end

Hi, Searching through forum I found "sed 's/*$//'" can be used to remove trailing whitespaces and tabs from file. The command works fine but I see minor issue as below. Can you please suggest if I am doing something wrong here. $ cat a.txt upg_prod_test upg_prod_new $ cat a.txt |sed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
11 Replies
MANCONV(1)							Manual pager utils							MANCONV(1)

NAME
manconv - convert manual page from one encoding to another SYNOPSIS
manconv -f from-code[:from-code...] -t to-code [-dqhV] [filename] DESCRIPTION
manconv converts a manual page from one encoding to another, like iconv. Unlike iconv, it can try multiple possible input encodings in sequence. This is useful for manual pages installed in directories without an explicit encoding declaration, since they may be in UTF-8 or in a legacy character set. If an encoding declaration is found on the first line of the manual page, that declaration overrides any input encodings specified on man- conv's command line. Encoding declarations have the following form: '" -*- coding: UTF-8 -*- or (if manual page preprocessors are also to be declared): '" t -*- coding: ISO-8859-1 -*- OPTIONS
-f encodings, --from-code encodings Try each of encodings (a colon-separated list) in sequence as the input encoding. -t encoding, --to-code encoding Convert the manual page to encoding. -q, --quiet Do not issue error messages when the page cannot be converted. -d, --debug Print debugging information. -h, --help Print a help message and exit. -V, --version Display version information. SEE ALSO
iconv(1), man(1) AUTHOR
Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org). 2.6.2 2012-06-18 MANCONV(1)